What can a bachelor's degree in physics do?

In summary: For example, if you want to be a software engineer, you should probably take classes in computer science and mathematics.
Ilovephysics1
What kind of jobs can a degree in physics get you?

What is the average starting salary for a physics degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
With a bachelor's in physics you can work at positions that requires some numerical literacy (but otherwise not much competence). Like a lower level analyst or risk engineer. Also, I used to have a programming job while doing (and some time after completing) my bachelor's in physics, but that's assuming one can program.

I might be wrong about this, but I'm fairly convinced that you cannot have a physics related job with just a bachelor's degree.

Vladb is correct. You can be a high school teacher of physics with a bachelors but if you want to do physics research or do some sort of engineering for a company, you need a higher-level degree. Unlike engineers, physics majors don't train for a specific job during their undergrad. Consider a physics B.S. a sort of 'liberal science' degree that gives you enough math and science to go on to related fields (physics, engineering, computer science, what-have-you) but you need more training to truly be ready to use it in a job.

sort of 'liberal science' degree

That's a nice way of putting it - never thought of it. I think this is very true. Which also means it can be a very nice complement to a more applied discipline if one wishes to avoid grad school either for some time or just not bother with it at all.

"What kind of jobs can a degree in physics get you?"

None, its the marketable skills and ability that you acquire while pursuing your degree that get you a job. The marketable skills and ability that one get while pursuing a degree varies quite a bit and is a function of both the school and the person. Some leave with a BS in physics and have to wait tables, some can teach in school, some can do various forms of engineering and some can continue their education and do research.

If a job is important to you, then consider what marketable skills you should be fostering.

What career options are available with a bachelor's degree in physics?

A bachelor's degree in physics can open doors to a variety of careers in industries such as research and development, engineering, education, data analysis, and more. Some common job titles for physics degree holders include research assistant, data analyst, science teacher, and engineer.

Is a bachelor's degree in physics required for graduate school in physics?

While a bachelor's degree in physics is typically required for admission to graduate school in physics, some programs may also consider applicants with a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mathematics or engineering.

What skills will I gain from a bachelor's degree in physics?

A bachelor's degree in physics can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as a strong foundation in mathematics and scientific principles. Additionally, students may also gain skills in data analysis, computer programming, and laboratory techniques.

What types of research opportunities are available for physics majors at the undergraduate level?

Many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate physics students, either through internships or working with a faculty member on a research project. These opportunities can provide hands-on experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and presenting findings.

What other career fields can a bachelor's degree in physics lead to?

Aside from careers directly related to physics, a bachelor's degree in physics can also lead to opportunities in fields such as finance, medicine, law, and technology. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from a physics degree can be applied to a wide range of industries and professions.