What can an astrophysics get into?

• Physics
  • Thread starter RockenNS42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astrophysics
In summary: I have heard of a few people who have gotten jobs in defense industry doing physics. For the most part, these people are hired as software engineers.
RockenNS42
I'm planing on taking astrophysics after high school. There's just so much to chose from after that, what are my choices? Could I do something like exosolar planet research? Or would I have to take something else? What are my other options?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are jobs in astronomy, in either university teaching/research or government research Nasa/ESO/MPIA etc (depends on your nationality)
Then there are all the general physics jobs in industry.
Then all the numerate graduate jobs
Then all the Dilbert jobs.

Of my grad school class I would say 50% went into academic jobs 25% to Wall St and 25% to industry, mostly software or defence jobs.

If you want to study astrophysics, study astrophysics. The WORST that can happen is that you end up working for me with a $100K+ job in the defense industry. That is a pretty good worst case (we hire lots of astrophysics PhDs). The best case is that you will work in astrophysics and spend you life having fun. Go for it!

RockenNS42, in my experience, it's probably better to do your undergraduate degree in physics rather than astronomy or astrophysics. If you choose to become an astrophysicist, physics will actually give you a better preparation for astrophysics grad school than astronomy.

Also, here are questions from a particle astrophysics PhD student (i.e. myself) for those who have already responded.

mgb_phys said:
There are jobs in astronomy, in either university teaching/research or government research Nasa/ESO/MPIA etc (depends on your nationality)
Then there are all the general physics jobs in industry.
Then all the numerate graduate jobs
Then all the Dilbert jobs.

Could you elaborate on the general physics jobs in industry? From what I've seen, most of the industry jobs that actually involve physics (as opposed to software engineering or something of that nature) are in the field of condensed matter physics. If there are industry jobs for astrophysicists that involve doing physics, I would certainly like to consider them.

wildman said:
If you want to study astrophysics, study astrophysics. The WORST that can happen is that you end up working for me with a $100K+ job in the defense industry. That is a pretty good worst case (we hire lots of astrophysics PhDs). The best case is that you will work in astrophysics and spend you life having fun. Go for it!

I would be interested to hear more about the defense industry jobs. What's the typical job description of the astrophysics PhDs that you hire? Are these people hired for their physics skills, or are they taken on mostly as programmers?

arunma said:
RockenNS42, in my experience, it's probably better to do your undergraduate degree in physics rather than astronomy or astrophysics. If you choose to become an astrophysicist, physics will actually give you a better preparation for astrophysics grad school than astronomy.
Most undergrad 'astronomy' degrees are only a couple of optional courses different from a physics degree. Places call them astronomy degrees because more people are interested in astronomy than physics!

Could you elaborate on the general physics jobs in industry? From what I've seen, most of the industry jobs that actually involve physics (as opposed to software engineering or something of that nature) are in the field of condensed matter physics. If there are industry jobs for astrophysicists that involve doing physics, I would certainly like to consider them.
I know a lot of physicists who are managing engineers in large companies. Technical consultancy is another popular choice and there are lots of physicists working in small technology companies making laser scanners, oil field instrumentation, medical devices etc. A lot of engineering jobs that require multiple disciplines, eg. optics+electronics+software go to experimental physicists.

I would be interested to hear more about the defense industry jobs. What's the typical job description of the astrophysics PhDs that you hire? Are these people hired for their physics skills, or are they taken on mostly as programmers?
I was in a radio astronomy dept so lots of people went into radar stuff. I was at an alumni event with a lot of high-up ex students where one tray of dodgy chicken could have wiped out Nato's radar capability for a generation.

wildman said:

That is a good worst case!
In such case, what would a job in the defense industry be like?

RockenNS42 said:
That is a good worst case!
In such case, what would a job in the defense industry be like?

Most work by astrophysics types would be in software. 80% of the cost of new weapons is software so the chances of working in software is quite great. It is what is called embedded software. This is not hacking on a computer, but software that makes the hardware go. It is what controls the flight of missiles and drones. This is very math intensive stuff, the kind of thing that needs the skills learned studying astrophysics.

The other possible career is in optics. Astronomers of course need to understand optics and telescopes. This is a good fit since the military needs lots of telescopes and other optics so they can know what enemy is doing or where a drone or missile is going.

I don't propose that you go into astrophysics in order to work for a military contractor. There are easier paths. But it is certainly a good fall back plan. You can use it to sell the idea to your parents also.

wildman said:
Most work by astrophysics types would be in software. 80% of the cost of new weapons is software so the chances of working in software is quite great. It is what is called embedded software. This is not hacking on a computer, but software that makes the hardware go. It is what controls the flight of missiles and drones. This is very math intensive stuff, the kind of thing that needs the skills learned studying astrophysics.

The other possible career is in optics. Astronomers of course need to understand optics and telescopes. This is a good fit since the military needs lots of telescopes and other optics so they can know what enemy is doing or where a drone or missile is going.

I don't propose that you go into astrophysics in order to work for a military contractor. There are easier paths. But it is certainly a good fall back plan. You can use it to sell the idea to your parents also.

no your right, just a fall back. But I don't got to sell any ideas to my parents , there the ones who got me hooked on astrophysics in the first place

but thanks, now like you said, I have a good idea of a possible fall back if I need it

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in astrophysics?

There are a variety of career options available for those with a degree in astrophysics. Some common fields include research, academia, aerospace engineering, data analysis, and science writing. Additionally, many astrophysicists find employment in government agencies, such as NASA or the National Science Foundation.

2. Can an astrophysics degree lead to a career in finance or business?

While an astrophysics degree may not seem directly related to finance or business, the analytical and problem-solving skills gained through studying astrophysics can be highly valuable in these fields. Many astrophysicists also choose to work in data analysis or quantitative finance roles within the finance or business industries.

3. Is a graduate degree necessary to work in the field of astrophysics?

While a graduate degree is not always necessary, it is highly recommended for those looking to pursue a career in astrophysics. A graduate degree allows for more specialized study and research opportunities, and can also make one more competitive in the job market.

4. Are there any specific skills or courses that are particularly useful for a career in astrophysics?

Some useful skills for a career in astrophysics include a strong background in mathematics, computer programming, and data analysis. Courses in astronomy, physics, and computer science are also beneficial. Additionally, strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for success in this field.

5. What are some potential research areas within the field of astrophysics?

There are many potential research areas within astrophysics, including cosmology, planetary science, astrophysical instrumentation, and high-energy astrophysics. Other areas of interest may include star and galaxy formation, black holes, and dark matter. Ultimately, the specific research area will depend on the individual's interests and expertise.