What can (US) amateur astronomers do to help save Hubble?

In summary, there is a current debate over the fate of the Hubble telescope, with some advocating for its preservation and others supporting NASA's decision to abandon it in favor of funding for manned missions to the moon and Mars. The Apollo project, which was motivated by the cold war, is cited as an example of past political influence on space exploration. Suggestions are made to save the Hubble through petitions or by voting in the upcoming presidential election.
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you are a US citizen, and wish to add your voice to those who want to save Hubble, you may be interested in http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1200_1.asp

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I hate to be politcal, but I think the best way to save Hubble is to defeat Pres. Bush this November. The most important reason that Hubble is being abandoned is so that NASA can use the money for the manned moon and Mars project. From a scientific point of view, this manned mission has very little value compared to Hubble and future space telescopes.

For those who were not around at the time, the Apollo project was motivated more by the cold war than anything else.

i can't even begin to understand why the Hubble is to be
abandoned, isn't it one of if not the best astronomical
instrument ever? if it is for pure political reasons
then the ones making the decisions should hang their heads
in shame

What can (US) amateur astronomers do to help save Hubble?

1. How can I get involved in efforts to save Hubble as an amateur astronomer in the US?

2. What specific actions can I take to support Hubble's continued operation?

3. Are there any citizen science projects specifically related to Hubble that I can participate in?

4. How can I help raise awareness about the importance of Hubble and its potential loss?

5. Will my contributions as an amateur astronomer actually make a difference in saving Hubble?