Why do people engage in necroposting?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: At least sometimes people look for a particular question that is reused by their teachers (or it is from from some book and was already posted as such).
OAQfirst said:
I thought it was the Similar Threads for links at the bottom of many threads and users who don't notice or examine the post dates.

I think it is almost always users who don't notice the date. After all if one doesn't know enough to look at the date (myself often times), then that mistake is easy. Maybe threads should be automatically locked after a period of inactivity. That would prevent mistakes of this sort.

Physics news on Phys.org
wildman said:
Maybe threads should be automatically locked after a period of inactivity.

That might be counter-productive as far as the site goes. There have been some very valuable necro-posts, with someone bringing a new perspective to an issue. Maybe some sort of special label could be applied, though, to make people aware that the thread has been dormant.

Locking old threads is not a good idea - there are threads (like good ... sites) that are intended to be open forever. Perhaps better idea is to display message "you are going to post in a thread where nobody posted for the last six months, are you sure you know what you are doing?".

Borek said:
Perhaps better idea is to display message "you are going to post in a thread where nobody posted for the last six months, are you sure you know what you are doing?".

Right, for a general "new reply" to the thread. For a direct response to a particular post (via "quote"), I'd display the message "the post you are replying to was made on <date>. The person who posted it may no longer even be here, or may have forgotten all about this discussion. Are you sure you want to continue?"

jtbell said:
Right, for a general "new reply" to the thread. For a direct response to a particular post (via "quote"), I'd display the message "the post you are replying to was made on <date>. The person who posted it may no longer even be here, or may have forgotten all about this discussion. Are you sure you want to continue?"

So what if the person is no longer here? If the reply was meant solely for the person who posted, then the reply could have been made via PM. And what's wrong with taking six years to make a really well thought out one-line reply to a post? :uhh:

I have locked old threads in GD & P&WA because most no longer meet our guidelines. If someone has something important enough to discuss, they can start a new thread following current posting guidelines, no need to dredge up a bunch of bad posts.

Funny enough I just found a message for me on Myspace from someone asking about an old thread I posted here on PF.

How many necroposts do you get? I see one every now and then. It doesn't seem like a lot. Maybe placing an idle lock (different from the crackpot/nonscientific lock) would be a solution. The user can post but the moderator of that part of the forum must approve the response to remove the idle lock and to reopen the thread for posting from all users.

Evo said:
I think it's mostly people linking from search engines like Google. They link directly into a thread and don't notice the dates.

Danger said:
That's how I got involved with PF in the first place.

lisab said:
Yes, me too, Danger.

Same here. My 1-year PF anniversary is less than a week away :smile: