What causes resistance in electrolytic solutions?

• Thread starter memoguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, resistance in electrolytic solutions is caused by ions colliding with water molecules. Similar to how electrons in metals collide with ions, ions in electrolytic solutions also experience collisions, resulting in energy loss and resistance. This can be further explored through references on the behavior of ions in solution.
memoguy
Hi!

So I know that in electrolytic solutions current is transferred via ions, but I don't understand where the resistance comes from.

I know that electrolytic solutions follow ohms law and Pouillet’s Law, but I do not understand what is actually going on that causes resistance.

I understand that in metals at an atomic level there is a a lattice like structure of ions in a pool of loosely bonded valence electrons. Voltage accelerate these electrons. However, these accelerated electrons collide with the ions in the conductor, loosing energy. This repetitive acceleration and deceleration is what causes electrical resistance.

But I do not understand what the equivalent is in electrolytic solutions.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I don't need you to give a full explanation, just even a reference to the type of thing I should be looking up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ions collide with water molecules (or whatever medium they are in).

FAQ: What causes resistance in electrolytic solutions?

1. What is resistance in electrolytic solutions?

Resistance in electrolytic solutions is the opposition of ions to the flow of electric current. It is caused by collisions between ions and the surrounding solvent molecules, which slows down the movement of ions through the solution.

2. How does the concentration of ions affect resistance in electrolytic solutions?

The concentration of ions in an electrolytic solution is directly proportional to the resistance. As the concentration of ions increases, there are more collisions between ions and solvent molecules, resulting in a higher resistance.

3. What role do temperature and pressure play in resistance in electrolytic solutions?

Temperature and pressure have an inverse relationship with resistance in electrolytic solutions. As temperature and pressure increase, the solvent molecules have more energy and are able to move faster, resulting in fewer collisions with ions and a lower resistance.

4. How do the properties of the solvent affect resistance in electrolytic solutions?

The properties of the solvent, such as polarity and viscosity, can affect resistance in electrolytic solutions. A polar solvent, such as water, can interact more strongly with ions and hinder their movement, resulting in a higher resistance. A more viscous solvent can also slow down the movement of ions, leading to a higher resistance.

5. Can additives or impurities in the solution affect resistance in electrolytic solutions?

Yes, additives or impurities in the solution can alter the resistance in electrolytic solutions. For example, adding a strong electrolyte to a solution can increase the concentration of ions, leading to a higher resistance. Additionally, impurities can disrupt the flow of ions and increase the resistance.