What Causes Those Nasty Knots and How to Get Rid of Them?

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of muscle knots and how they can cause discomfort and tension. The participants share their personal experiences with these knots and various methods for getting rid of them, such as acupuncture, massage therapy, hot baths, and drinking water to flush out lactic acid. The conversation also touches on the causes of muscle knots, including muscle fatigue and stress, and the role of lactic acid in muscle pain.
misskitty
Everyone here knows about those nasty little knots you get in your back, your shoulders and neck and how they cause you to be all tight and achy. I hate them just as much, if not more than the next person. Believe me they don't do anything but complicate my exsisting back problem.

Anyway, my question is, what causes these nasty little so-and-so's and what is the best way to get rid of them? :confused:

If you've got any good suggestions, (preferably inexpensive please) let me know, these knots are on my nerves!

Biology news on Phys.org
misskitty said:
If you've got any good suggestions, (preferably inexpensive please) let me know, these knots are on my nerves!

Funny you should bring this up, as last week I went to an accupuncturist to relieve some long overdue neck/shoulder tension and a pinched nerve. Since then I have felt a huge difference in my shoulders (not tightening up), and I am keeping accupuncture in mind again next time I have this sort of thing. Try going to a licensed massage therapist to help you. Generally those knots just might be where you store tension. LMT's charge around $50/hour, or if there is a massage school in your town, they will charge less and be just as good.

Ohh...sounds good! Lol. :smile:

I have been told about the acupunture thing before. I'm getting ready to go find one myself.

Yep, they're usually just a tense muscle that is flexing and not relaxing. It could be from muscle fatigue such as over excercising or even sitting too long in a position that tenses that muscle, or you might clench your muscles a bit when you're stressed. People have a lot of different ways of relaxing to alleviate the knotted muscle. A hot bath or shower or heating pad is sometimes all it needs, or trying things like meditation to relax are good. Massages are always a great option. :smile:

This is some good advice. This might sound stupid: when you go to see a massage therapist, they always tell you to drink a lot of water after you see them so that it flushes the chemicals out of your system...what the heck are they talking about?! When I asked a friend of mine (who is studying massage therapy :biggrin:) what that ment she said something about lactic acid. That didn't tell me much. So why do they have you drink so much water, what chemicals are they talking about, and what's this thing about the lactic acid?

Yes, ask your massage therapist friend for a layperson's explanation of lactic acid and muscle pain.

Essentially, lactic acid is the emergency fuel/lubricant your muscles use when they can't get enough oxygen. Lactic acid that's left over in your muscles is what causes the burning and the pain you feel after running. Same thing happens in muscles that haven't relaxed in a long time.

When the massage therapist goes to work on you, the kneading increases blood flow to the muscles. The lactic acid is flushed out. Drink water to dispose of it.

Uh-huh. I'll need to drink ten litres of water to get all that lactic acid out of my system.

Related to What Causes Those Nasty Knots and How to Get Rid of Them?

1. What exactly causes knots in our muscles?

Knots, also known as trigger points, are caused by a contraction of small sections of muscle fibers. This can be due to injury, overuse, poor posture, or stress. The contraction creates a tight spot in the muscle, which can lead to pain and discomfort.

2. Can knots be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent knots from occurring, there are some things you can do to reduce your risk. This includes stretching regularly, staying hydrated, maintaining good posture, and taking breaks from repetitive tasks that can strain certain muscles.

3. How can knots be treated?

There are several ways to treat knots, including massage therapy, foam rolling, and using heat or ice therapy. Additionally, stretching and strengthening exercises can help prevent knots from returning.

4. Do knots go away on their own?

In some cases, knots may go away on their own with rest and self-care. However, it is important to seek treatment if the pain and discomfort persist. Leaving knots untreated can lead to further muscle tension and discomfort.

5. Are there any long-term effects of having knots?

While knots themselves are not typically harmful, they can lead to other issues if left untreated. This includes chronic pain, decreased range of motion, and muscle imbalances. Seeking treatment and addressing the underlying causes of knots can help prevent these long-term effects.