What could be causing Youtube videos to not play on a Dell Windows 10 machine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sandy stone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Videos Youtube
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
sandy stone
Messages
249
Reaction score
183
TL;DR
What should I update?
I have a Dell Windows 10 machine new in January. Lately when trying to watch any YouTube video on the Edge browser I get the (particularly unhelpful) message "An error occurred. Please try again later." with a video ID number. I'm sure my internet connection is fast enough - I can watch videos on my Android tablet via the household wifi. I assume I need to update a driver, or maybe switch browsers (I have this suspicion in the back of my mind that Google is trying to force me to use Chrome), but I'm not even sure which driver is responsible for displaying the videos. Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sandy stone said:
I have this suspicion in the back of my mind that Google is trying to force me to use Chrome
Try Mozilla if you think so. But Chrome is better than Mozilla (in my opinion), and of course, both are far better than MS Edge (or IE).

Also try clearing all cache and cookies for Youtube.
 
sandy stone said:
"An error occurred. Please try again later." with a video ID number.
I've seen that error, both on my iPad and on my TV. I think tt is caused by a slow or intermittent Internet connection. I don't think it depends on the browser.
 
Thanks, I'll try all suggestions in order of complexity.