What courses to take in addition to engineering physics?

In summary: Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics could be good additions to any engineering physics degree, as could quantum mechanics and optics/solid state physics. However, you'll have to check with your physics department to see exactly what courses are available and what is recommended.
lirkepirk
Hey, I am strongly thinking of switching from mechanical engineering over to engineering physics. I am thinking of taking the first year again, and will therefore have about 5 courses I can choose freely.
So the question is, what courses could be a nice addition to a engineering physics degree?

I would like the courses to make me more attractive for industry and/or applied research, and perhaps if the degree is as flexible as I think, maybe open up for some interesting master thesis topics. I am thinking of some thermodynamics, fluid and simulation courses. I also find acoustics and sound interesting, but that is something I can chose later anyway. Anyway: do you have any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it is an idea to take some finance or something, but I'd rather aim towards technology/science :)

How is your EP major structured? Is it basically an engineering degree with physics electives, or a physics degree with an engineering minor? Is it accredited from the engineering accreditation association?

I am from Europe (Norway), so minor/major does not really translate directly, afaik. I would probably classify it more like a physics degree with an engineering minor. I can add that it is an integrated masters degree, so it is 5 years in total. I can list the courses I am required to take: Classical mechanics (I & II), Electricity and Magnetism, Electomagnetic theory, Fluid mechanics, Thermal Physics, Statisical physics,, Quantum Mechanics (I&II), C++, numerical maths for physics and biophysics, Instrumentation (I&II), Optics and Solid state physics.

Other than that there are of course typical engineering maths, chemistry and some other "technology"-related courses every engineering student is required to take. After that, in my 4th and 5th year, I do have a lot of electives. 7-9 of them. It seems like I can pick and choose pretty freely within theoretical physics, environmental physics, cybernetics and programming, acoustics, aerodynamics, energy and materials. As long as it is related to physics in some way it seems :) On the other hand, the norm seems to be to choose the recommended courses from the physics department.

To recap: I have now got 5 additional courses I can choose entirely freely (could be economics for that matter), and I am wondering what would be wise to choose.

Is a dedicated MATLAB class avaliable? Or is it integrated in your engineering classes? Any DSP, microwave antenna design, materials or FPGA courses might also be beneficial to industry. Any experimental (heavily lab based) physics classes would be a good choice as well.

I had some MATLAB programming in an introductory course, but we only scratched the surface. But I'll look into it! I have the impression that MATLAB is tought as a tool in other courses. Good suggestions, I did not think about many of them as possibilities.

What are some recommended courses to take in addition to engineering physics?

There are several courses that are commonly recommended to complement an engineering physics degree, such as advanced mathematics courses (such as calculus and differential equations), computer science, and courses in a specific engineering discipline (such as mechanical or electrical engineering).

Will taking additional courses delay my graduation?

It depends on your individual course load and the requirements of your degree program. It is important to plan your course schedule carefully and consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you can fit in additional courses without delaying your graduation.

Which courses will be most beneficial for my career as an engineering physicist?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and the specific industry you plan to work in. However, courses in areas such as materials science, optics, and computer programming can be particularly beneficial for engineering physicists.

Are there any non-technical courses that would be useful to take as an engineering physics major?

Yes, courses in communication, technical writing, and project management can be valuable for engineering physicists, as they can help with effectively communicating complex technical concepts and managing projects in a professional setting.

Can I take courses outside of my university to supplement my engineering physics degree?

Yes, you may be able to take courses at other universities or online to supplement your engineering physics degree. However, it is important to check with your university and make sure the credits will transfer before enrolling in any external courses.