What determines an amplitude of a wave particle?

In summary, the amplitude of a wave particle is determined by the maximum displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position. It is a measure of the energy and intensity of the wave, with higher amplitudes indicating a larger energy and intensity. The amplitude can be affected by factors such as the amplitude of the source, the distance from the source, and the medium through which the wave travels. Additionally, the amplitude of a wave can change over time due to interference, reflection, or absorption.
Goodver
According to Bohr's model, photon is emitted when electron "falls" to the lower level with energy equal to the difference between energies on these levels. This determines the frequency of the photon.

What determines an amplitude of a wave created by a single photon, or electron?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, the amplitude of the wave function is related to the probability of finding the particle at various locations. More specifically the probability density is ##P(x) = |\Psi|^2 = \Psi^*\Psi## where ##\Psi^*## is the complex conjugate of ##\Psi##.

Yes, but then how can I find the probability density without knowing an amplitude of the wave function?

I mean, probability density and amplitude depends on each other, so if one side is unknown (amplitude in this case), then the other side also can not be determined

Goodver said:
Yes, but then how can I find the probability density without knowing an amplitude of the wave function?

You don't. First you find the wave function by solving Schrödinger's equation for the situation that you are interested in, then you use the wave function to find the probability density.

deleted

Sorry, I am still a bit confused.

by this:

jtbell said:
You don't. First you find the wave function by solving Schrödinger's equation for the situation that you are interested in.

You mean I should express ψ(x) from the time independent Schrödinger equation (attached)

substituting values for E, m, h etc (assume I want to calculate amplitude, for defined energy, mass)

?

Then how would I do that? I will always stay with the second derivative of the function and the function itself

Would appreciate if you can give some links on solving Schrödinger equation for this kind of cases

Attachments

• CodeCogsEqn (1).gif
    CodeCogsEqn (1).gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 505
Schrodinger's equation is a partial differential equation

Most of the time, it isn't easy (or just impossible) to find an exact solution, but there are about 5 or so instructive problems that are solved exactly in any Quantum mechanics textbook (e.g. Hydrogen atom, harmonic oscillator, etc...).

If you're interested in learning to solve it, I recommend you brush up on your calculus first, then study some quantum mechanics.

Many students get their first taste of solving Schrödinger's equation in an "introductory modern physics" course using a textbook such as the ones by Beiser, Tipler, etc.

Almost everyone starts with the "particle in a box" a.k.a. "infinite square well." A Google search should turn up a lot of web pages and university lecture notes.

The version of the SE that you showed is the one for the hydrogen atom. Don't tackle that one until you've done a couple of simpler examples first.

1. What is the definition of amplitude in relation to wave particles?

The amplitude of a wave particle refers to the maximum displacement or distance from equilibrium that the particle moves as the wave passes through it. In other words, it measures the intensity or strength of the wave.

2. How is the amplitude of a wave particle related to its energy?

In general, the greater the amplitude of a wave particle, the more energy it carries. This is because a larger amplitude means a larger displacement from equilibrium, which requires more energy to achieve.

3. What factors determine the amplitude of a wave particle?

The amplitude of a wave particle is determined by a few factors, including the energy of the source that created the wave, the distance the wave has traveled, and any obstructions or interactions the wave has encountered along its path.

4. Can the amplitude of a wave particle change?

Yes, the amplitude of a wave particle can change depending on its surroundings and interactions with other particles or forces. For example, a wave may lose energy and decrease in amplitude as it travels through a medium with resistance, such as air or water.

5. How does the amplitude of a wave particle affect its properties?

The amplitude of a wave particle can affect its properties in several ways. For example, a higher amplitude wave may have a greater frequency and shorter wavelength, while a lower amplitude wave may have a lower frequency and longer wavelength. The amplitude can also impact the intensity and energy of the wave, as well as its ability to transmit information or cause physical effects.