What Determines the Number of Equivalence Classes in a Set?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
cragar
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Lets say I have the word mississippi .
Would I then say that I have 11 elements in my multiset .
And would I say that I have 4 equivalence classes because I only have 4 different letters.

If I had the set A={1,2,3,} Would I say this has 3 different equivalence classes.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
i think you need to define exactly what your set is and what the equivalence class is defined by

an example might be the set of numbers
{2,3,4}

we could partition into 2 equivalence classes could be whether or not the number is divisible by 2

the letter case a little confusing as there are repeated elements in the set
 
Last edited:
cragar said:

Homework Statement


Lets say I have the word mississippi .
Would I then say that I have 11 elements in my multiset .
Yup, if each element of the multiset is a single letter.
And would I say that I have 4 equivalence classes because I only have 4 different letters.

If I had the set A={1,2,3,} Would I say this has 3 different equivalence classes.
Not necessarily. The equivalence classes depend on exactly what equivalence relation you have.
 
It makes no sense at all to talk about "equivalence classes" without stating the equivalence relation. You have two questions here. What are your equivalence relations?