Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What did I do wrong?

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you'd read the previous posts and indeed the forum rules you would realise that discussion of perpetual motion machines is prohibited. The thread you posted in was discussing how one would obtain a patent and not a discussion about the mechanism of any perpetual motion device. I think ZapperZ was quite clear.

Personally I think hes done a stellar job of maintaining order in a thread that has the potential to go awry quickly.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  4. Nov 3, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The thread was only permitted to stay open initially because the primary question was how to file for a patent. It was made clear that this was the only topic permitted for discussion in that thread right from the start. As suspected, it did not stay on that topic, and has since been locked.

5. Nov 3, 2007 #4
    Kurdt, are serious? Let's assume you are.

Again, I was posting this in the general discussion forum:

<Quote deleted by Moonbear...if we deleted the text before, it isn't allowed here either.>
    ZapperZ deleted this, send me a warning where he accused me of advertising this firm, and then two posts later he called me lucky that got no infraction points!

I am for two years now member of this forum and would like to be treated more respectfully.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2007
  6. Nov 3, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ratzinger, take it to PM. The mentors weighed in at the beginning of that thread, made the limits on the discussion clear, and you took the discussion beyond those limits. Period. Warnings are NOT infractions. Since you've already publicly aired that you received a warning, I'll just remind everyone that warnings (with no infraction points) are just our way of informing you why your post was deleted (or moved, or reminding of the rules, etc.), just like it says in the PM that is sent with the warning. It also creates a record of the warning for the other mentors to view, so we all know what action was taken and exactly what was said in the PM from the mentor. That's all it is and there's no reason to be getting all worked up about it.

We were trying to keep that thread on-topic, because we knew right from the start it had the potential to quickly go off-topic into a direction that is specifically not allowed on this forum, per our forum guidelines. Once it became apparent that a few deletions of discussion of perpetual motion and repeated warnings within the thread were not stopping people from veering off in that direction, the thread was locked.

That's it. Discussion of it is over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?