What Did I Do Wrong? Get Answers from Other Mentors

• Thread starter Ratzinger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a thread on the Physics Forums where the topic of perpetual motion machines was prohibited. Despite clear warnings and guidelines from the mentors, the discussion veered off-topic and the thread was eventually locked. One member received a warning for their posts, but it was not an infraction. The conversation has now ended.
Ratzinger
Could please other mentors than ZapperZ look at this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=195503&page=2 starting post 25 and tell me what I did wrong?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you'd read the previous posts and indeed the forum rules you would realize that discussion of perpetual motion machines is prohibited. The thread you posted in was discussing how one would obtain a patent and not a discussion about the mechanism of any perpetual motion device. I think ZapperZ was quite clear.

Personally I think he's done a stellar job of maintaining order in a thread that has the potential to go awry quickly.

Last edited:
The thread was only permitted to stay open initially because the primary question was how to file for a patent. It was made clear that this was the only topic permitted for discussion in that thread right from the start. As suspected, it did not stay on that topic, and has since been locked.

Kurdt, are serious? Let's assume you are.

Again, I was posting this in the general discussion forum:

<Quote deleted by Moonbear...if we deleted the text before, it isn't allowed here either.>
ZapperZ deleted this, send me a warning where he accused me of advertising this firm, and then two posts later he called me lucky that got no infraction points!

I am for two years now member of this forum and would like to be treated more respectfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ratzinger, take it to PM. The mentors weighed in at the beginning of that thread, made the limits on the discussion clear, and you took the discussion beyond those limits. Period. Warnings are NOT infractions. Since you've already publicly aired that you received a warning, I'll just remind everyone that warnings (with no infraction points) are just our way of informing you why your post was deleted (or moved, or reminding of the rules, etc.), just like it says in the PM that is sent with the warning. It also creates a record of the warning for the other mentors to view, so we all know what action was taken and exactly what was said in the PM from the mentor. That's all it is and there's no reason to be getting all worked up about it.

We were trying to keep that thread on-topic, because we knew right from the start it had the potential to quickly go off-topic into a direction that is specifically not allowed on this forum, per our forum guidelines. Once it became apparent that a few deletions of discussion of perpetual motion and repeated warnings within the thread were not stopping people from veering off in that direction, the thread was locked.

That's it. Discussion of it is over.

1. What is the purpose of "What Did I Do Wrong? Get Answers from Other Mentors?"

The purpose of this resource is to provide individuals with the opportunity to seek guidance and advice from experienced mentors in order to identify and learn from their mistakes.

2. How does "What Did I Do Wrong? Get Answers from Other Mentors" work?

Users can submit their questions and concerns to the platform, and then mentors with relevant expertise will provide answers and advice based on their own experiences.

3. Is "What Did I Do Wrong? Get Answers from Other Mentors" only for scientific mistakes?

No, this resource is open to all types of mistakes and can provide guidance in various fields such as business, personal development, and relationships.

4. Are the mentors on "What Did I Do Wrong? Get Answers from Other Mentors" qualified?

Yes, all mentors on this platform have been carefully selected based on their expertise and experience in their respective fields. They have also gone through a vetting process to ensure the quality and accuracy of their advice.

5. How can I become a mentor on "What Did I Do Wrong? Get Answers from Other Mentors"?

If you have a strong background and experience in a specific field, you can apply to become a mentor on this platform. You will need to go through a screening process and provide proof of your qualifications and expertise.