Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What did you get for Christmas?

1. Dec 25, 2005 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I normally don't care what I get for Christmas, but this year's was a very unexpected surprise.

I got a Pickett N4-ES Vector Hyperbolic Dual Base Slide Rule.

This is listed as having 34 scales, but that's a little deceiving. It has a 30 inch cube root scale (that's 3 scales), a 20 inch square root scale (2 scales), and an 80 inch log-log scale and the log base 10 scale. It has a 20" hyperbolic sine and tangent scales, plus the normal 20" tangent, sine, and small angle sine scales, C (one each side), D (one each side), CF, DF, CF/M, and DF/M scales, plus the reciprical CI, CIF and DI scales. It's aluminum with a plastic lined leather case in Pickett's famous eye-saver yellow.

Mine's a little unusual in that it only has 33 scales. It's missing the Ln scale from 0 to 2.3 and it's also missing the 1959 copyright notice. I think this one was a very early version.

One of the most sophisticated slide rules ever made and my wife picked it up at a thrift store for $16. The only restoration it needed was cleaning off the glue from a price tag that had been stuck directly on the slide rule. :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2005 #2
    I got my Book from the UPS lady for my winter-term class (Machine Design), I got a nice sweat shirt, which I'm wearing right now (Funny how I used to hate getting clothes, now I WANT to get clothes), and I got my grades in which were all good with one exception which was REALLY BAD. ;-)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  4. Dec 25, 2005 #3
    Tickets to a physics conference in subtropical Florida! And yet another season of The Simpsons on DVD. Also a book on manifolds.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2005
  5. Dec 25, 2005 #4
    all I got was laid

6. Dec 25, 2005 #5
    I did get a book about time travel but then I traveled back into time and explained to them time travel is impossible.

7. Dec 25, 2005 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get that all year round. :tongue2:

8. Dec 26, 2005 #7
    Wow, Santa's getting more creative. :yuck:

9. Dec 26, 2005 #8
    a box of chocolates, 2 shirts, a $30 gift card. And oh, a couple of kisses...

10. Dec 26, 2005 #9
    Some Dewalt self starting drill bits, two pairs of gold earings, a M&M 1/38 die cast car and some fancies from Victoria Secrets.

11. Dec 26, 2005 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I got an illness, woo!
    I spent half the day sleeping, ate hardly any xmas dinner, and missed my friends birthday party.

I did get an owl pellet disection kit though. How cool is that? :biggrin:

12. Dec 26, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like matthyizzaouw, I also got an illness. I think it was self-inflicted, I don't really remember.

Other than the obligatory poisoning, I got "Is it just me, or is everything ****e?", some stuff to make me smell less bad, and some electronic drumsticks with authentic sounds. Lovely.

13. Dec 26, 2005 #12
    I got some new eye pieces and a filter set for my telescope, socks! and one of these
    (oh and i gave my self a hangover too:grumpy: )

14. Dec 26, 2005 #13

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I've had my eye on those drum stick things for a while. Are they any good?

15. Dec 26, 2005 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As musical instruments, no, they're rubbish!

As tools for making noise and pissing off the family, they're fantastic.

16. Dec 26, 2005 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Bob,
    Have you ever seen this guy?

http://www.slideruleguy.com/

I was given an old Pratt & Whitney turbine slide rule bought from him. I talked to him for a bit. Very nice and has a lot of stuff. The new Pickett you got, is it that great green color? I love those for some reason.

17. Dec 26, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got the flannel sheets I asked for, and a 3 1/2 qt pot (I really wanted the 2 qt one, but this will do), and a cashmere, sleeveless, turtleneck sweater. :confused: Only my sister could find something like that. What season am I supposed to wear it in? It's very soft, but really, when do you wear a sleeveless, turtleneck, cashmere sweater? I got a big container of espresso beans too. Oh, and "snowman soup" from my nephew :biggrin: (it's a packet of hot chocolate mix, two marshmallows and a candy cane to stir it with :rofl:).

18. Dec 26, 2005 #17
    I'm taking that in the spring too :biggrin:

19. Dec 26, 2005 #18
    I got socks, shirts, and underwear. My birthday is coming up in about a week and a half, I wonder if I'll get more.
    I still have packages of socks from last year that I haven't opened lol.
    And they're always white socks. I can't wear white socks five days out of the week because of work lol.

20. Dec 26, 2005 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've probably run across him in Yahoo's International Slide Rule Group (but I haven't posted there in a while). I think I've probably bid against him on E-Bay, as well.

No, mine is yellow.

21. Dec 26, 2005 #20
    I got a 450 euro Brittish Shorthair. Here name is Gioia and you can look at here picture in the member's photo thread

regards
    marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?