What do engineers do on a daily basis?

• Thread starter Olive98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, engineers design and implement solutions to problems using their knowledge of mathematics, physics, and engineering design principles. They work in a variety of industries, including mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering. Some engineers also specialize in a particular area of engineering.
Olive98
I am pretty sure I want to go into engineering, but I am really curious as to what engineers do on a daily basis. I have this vague and somewhat childish idea that it is just a bunch of people in overalls tinkering with machine parts. That just shows how little I really know.
I'm looking for kind of an insider's opinion, an actual engineer's weekly schedule.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most Univeristy educated engineers don't touch tools often (if ever). By tools i mean you are not going to be in the field/shop/etc. cutting metal, turning wrenches. The weekly scheduale for one engineer could be nothing like that of another.

What type of engineering are you intreted in? (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical? etc.)
this could help us give you a better idea.

I'm currently a 4th year Mechanical Engineer working for Ontario Power Generation. My days are never the same. One day I could be working on a turbine dehumidification system, the next a fire supressent system, boiler dosing tank, the list goes on. I became an engineer because I rellay don't like doing the same thing over and over.

Olive98, Welcome to Physics Forums!

There are so many kinds of engineers in our world that your question is practically impossible to answer. I worked as a Field Engineer and my stories are certainly different from many other engineers who don't travel/live abroad. My best advice for you is to continue asking engineers who are already working about what they do. I saw a very good program between companies and UCLA in the early 80s. Third and fourth year engineering students worked summers at our company on real projects. One senior was assigned to the team I was a part of. His experience with us allowed him to be hired upon graduation. Today he is Manager, Airborne Sonar Systems, with a FAT salary. So, if you can work in the industrial/commercial environment part time and study towards your degree at the same time, I think you will discover where you would like to fit in. Welcome!

Bobbywhy

What do engineers do on a daily basis?

Engineers are highly skilled professionals who use their knowledge of science, math, and technology to design and build various structures, products, and systems. Their daily tasks may vary depending on their area of specialization, but some common activities include problem-solving, designing, testing, and managing projects.

What types of engineers are there?

There are many different types of engineers, including civil engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, chemical engineers, environmental engineers, aerospace engineers, and more. Each type of engineer specializes in a specific area of engineering and may have different daily tasks and responsibilities.

Do engineers work in teams or individually?

It depends on the project and the company they work for. Some engineers may work independently on smaller projects, while others may collaborate with other engineers, scientists, and professionals as part of a team. Teamwork is often essential in engineering, as it allows for different perspectives and skills to be utilized in problem-solving and project design.

How do engineers use technology in their daily work?

Technology plays a significant role in the daily work of engineers. They use various tools and software, such as computer-aided design (CAD) software, simulation software, and data analysis tools, to create and test designs, analyze data, and solve complex problems. They also use technology to communicate and collaborate with team members and clients.

What skills are necessary for a career in engineering?

To be a successful engineer, you need a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and strong communication skills. Technical skills include knowledge of math, science, and technology, as well as proficiency in various software and tools used in engineering. Problem-solving skills are essential for identifying and solving complex problems that arise in the design and construction of various systems and structures. Communication skills are crucial for collaborating with team members, presenting ideas and designs, and working with clients.