What Do Partial Derivatives Tell Us in Thermodynamics and Beyond?

In summary: So, in summary, the partial derivatives in the given examples can be inverted if the same variables are held constant. The derivative g can be seen as the change in f with respect to time at a specific point, and in order to find the average change in f, the average value of the function must be used.
Mandelbroth
In a thermodynamics question, I was recently perplexed slightly by some partial derivative questions, both on notation and on physical meaning.

I believe my questions are best posed as examples. Suppose we have an equation, [itex](\frac{\partial x(t)}{\partial t}) = \frac{1}{y}[/itex], where y is a function, not necessarily of t.

When we solve for y, does this become [itex]y = (\frac{\partial x(t)}{\partial t})^{-1}[/itex]?

In general, does [itex](\frac{\partial x(t)}{\partial t})^{-1} \neq \frac{\partial t}{\partial x(t)}[/itex]? I was under the impression that they are, in general, not equal.

Suppose we had a function that is dependent on both position in space (x,y,z) and time (t). I shall denote it f(x,y,z,t). If we take [itex]g = \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/itex], the others are said to be held constant. Can g be seen as the change in f with respect to time at a specific point, or is it simply talking about the average change in f over an infinitesimal change in time? I thought that the former of the two (change at a point) was true, but now I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mandelbroth said:
When we solve for y, does this become [itex]y = (\frac{\partial x(t)}{\partial t})^{-1}[/itex]?
Yes, you are allowed to invert both sides of an equation.

Mandelbroth said:
In general, does [itex](\frac{\partial x(t)}{\partial t})^{-1} \neq \frac{\partial t}{\partial x(t)}[/itex]? I was under the impression that they are, in general, not equal.
In general, if the same variables are held constant, you can do this. I'll show you what I mean; take the total derivatives of your functions, and assume that they are all functions of each other for generality:
[tex]
\begin{align}
dx &= \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\right)_y dt + \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_t dy\\
dy &= \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\right)_x dt + \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_t dx
\end{align}
[/tex]
where the, for example, [itex]\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_t[/itex] means [itex]t[/itex] means is held constant. Then you can eliminate [itex]dy[/itex] in the first relation:
[tex]
\begin{align}
dx &=\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\right)_y dt + \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_t \left[\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\right)_x dt +\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_t dx\right]\\
&=\left[\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\right)_y + \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_t\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\right)_x\right]dt +\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_t \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_t dx
\end{align}
[/tex]
Upon comparing the coefficient of [itex]dx[/itex], you can see that,
[tex]
1=\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_t \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_t
[/tex]
so in other words:
[tex]
\frac{1}{\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_t} = \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_t
[/tex]
So, like I said earlier, this is true only if the same variable is held constant in each derivative.
Mandelbroth said:
Can g be seen as the change in f with respect to time at a specific point, or is it simply talking about the average change in f over an infinitesimal change in time?
This is the change in [itex]f(x,y,z,t)[/itex] with respect to time, at a specific spatial coordinate [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] (the points you are holding constant). In order to find a change in average [itex]f[/itex], you would need to use the average value of the function, like:
[tex]
\frac{1}{V}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_V f(x,y,z,t)d^3 x
[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to What Do Partial Derivatives Tell Us in Thermodynamics and Beyond?

What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. They are commonly used in multivariable calculus and are denoted by the symbol ∂.

When are partial derivatives used?

Partial derivatives are used when dealing with functions of multiple variables, such as in the fields of physics, economics, and engineering. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

How are partial derivatives calculated?

Partial derivatives are calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable while treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule.

What is the difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives?

The main difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives is that partial derivatives deal with functions of multiple variables, while ordinary derivatives deal with functions of a single variable. Additionally, when taking partial derivatives, all other variables are treated as constants.

What are some applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have many applications in various fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, optimize functions, and calculate rates of change in multivariable systems.