What Do the Purple Dots and Signs Represent in the LIGO Experiment Screensaver?

In summary, the purples dots in the picture represent pulsars, which are believed to emit gravitational waves. They are mostly clustered in the Milky Way, near the center of our galaxy. The white dots represent constellations.
ber70
Can anyone explain what the purples and signs are in this picture?

Attachments

• b1.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 272
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well judging from what I can see (I don't know what that is actually showing), I see the constellations in white, the purple may be stars either not relevant to the diagram or (based on the condensed strip shape) it might have something to do with the Milky Way.

The only thing for certain that I know about this is that the white dots are definitely the constellations. Sorry I couldn't be much help on this one.

From http://www.einsteinathome.org/about/screensaver.html :

"Pulsars and Supernovae Remnants

Pulsars and Supernovae are shown on the sky because scientists believe they emit gravitational waves. The purple dots on the celestial sphere mark the locations of pulsars* that have already been detected. These are clustered in the plane of our galaxy, the Milky Way, and are mostly near the center of the galaxy. They are likely sources of gravitational waves."

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Do the Purple Dots and Signs Represent in the LIGO Experiment Screensaver?

1. What is the LIGO Experiment Screensaver?

The LIGO Experiment Screensaver is a computer program that displays real-time data from the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO). It is designed to run as a screensaver on your computer and allows you to visualize the gravitational waves detected by LIGO.

2. How does the LIGO Experiment Screensaver work?

The screensaver uses data from the LIGO detectors, which are two 4-kilometer-long laser interferometers located in the United States. These detectors measure tiny distortions in space caused by passing gravitational waves. The screensaver displays this data in real-time, allowing you to see the effects of gravitational waves as they are detected by LIGO.

3. Is the LIGO Experiment Screensaver accurate?

Yes, the LIGO Experiment Screensaver is accurate. It uses real data from the LIGO detectors and displays it in real-time. The data is constantly being updated, so you can be sure that you are seeing the most current information about gravitational waves detected by LIGO.

4. Can I customize the LIGO Experiment Screensaver?

Yes, you can customize the LIGO Experiment Screensaver in several ways. You can change the color scheme, adjust the speed of the animations, and choose which data to display. You can also choose to display data from a specific LIGO detector or from multiple detectors at once.

5. What can I learn from the LIGO Experiment Screensaver?

The LIGO Experiment Screensaver allows you to see the effects of gravitational waves in real-time. By watching the screensaver, you can learn about the frequency and amplitude of gravitational waves, as well as the sources of these waves. You can also gain a better understanding of the technology and science behind the LIGO experiment.