What do we mean by 'wavelength'

In summary: The color of flames is determined by the chemical reaction that is taking place. The reaction produces heat, and the hotter the flame, the redder it will be.
MiniSmSm
hi everybody

In sound waves or EM waves ..
What do we mean by saying 'wavelength' ! physically
I mean ,
Is that related to the size of the photon for example ( In EM ) ?
Help me to understand

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MiniSmSm! :smile:

Light is an EM wave, a disturbance in an EM field.

The wavelength is the distance that it takes for the disturbance to repeat itself.

It's not related to the size of a photon (whatever that is :confused:), but it is inversely proportional to the momentum of a photon (and to the energy).

:) Thanx tiny-tim I appreciate that ..
but how could we say that is related to the color of wave ?
please explain..

Do you mean visible color? Essentially your eyes takes in the light (and the wavelength associated to the light) and your brain interprets the wave as a color.

The typical human eye can see light that is between the wavelengths of 400nanometers to 700 nanometers. 400nm is roughly violet and 700 roughly being red. The colors in between are roughly the colors of a rainbow in 50nm intervals. So something like:

Violet 400-450nm
Blue 450-500nm
Green 500-550nm
Yellow 550-600nm
Orange 600-650nm
Red 650-700nm

Right below violet in the light spectrum is ultraviolet (which we can't see with the naked eye). Right above red is infared (which we also can't see with the naked eye).

A shorter wavelength means a larger energy as tiny-tim touched upon. So violet is the most energetic color that is visible to us naturally, while red is the least energetic.

Red light is hotter (it has more energy, and more momentum) than blue light.

Colour depends on frequency (1/wavelength), which is proportional to both momentum and energy. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

Colour depends on frequency (1/wavelength), which is proportional to both momentum and energy. :smile:

Not sure about your first point but the energy of light is inversely proportional to its wave length. Or, in other words a smaller wavelength means that the light is more energetic.

As far as heat goes. Red is the coolest you can heat an object and visibly see it. This is why you know a fire is really hot if it's got a hint of blue/violet to it.

tiny-tim said:

Red Light is hotter ! or blue light is hotter than red ?
blue light has more energy than red light
so how can red light be hotter than blue ?

oops! :redface: wrong way round!

Things that glow red are colder than things that glow blue.

Temperature and energy are directly related so something that is more energetic (blue light) is hotter.

Blue light - hotter and more energetic
Red light - cooler and less energetic

ThanX for clarification :)

Last edited:
MiniSmSm said:
:) Thanx tiny-tim I appreciate that ..
but how could we say that is related to the color of wave ?
please explain..
The basic way to correlate color and wavelength is to use a ruled reflection (diffraction) grating, and measure the diffraction angle, hence wavelength, for each color. See
http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1896
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
MiniSmSm said:
but how could we say that is related to the color of wave?

If you mean, "what is the mechanism by which we perceive different wavelengths as having different colors?" that is a matter of biophysics (how the receptor cells in the eye respond to different wavelengths) and neurology (how the brain processes the information that it receives from the eye). You'd probably better ask about that in a biology forum, maybe even the one here on PF.

Feldoh said:
Things that glow red are colder than things that glow blue.

Temperature and energy are directly related so something that is more energetic (blue light) is hotter.

Blue light - hotter and more energetic
Red light - cooler and less energetic
ok I know that blue light has more energy then red . I believe you . but why is an alcohol flame that is blue colder than a red flame made form a fire with pine wood.

Why do you think an alcohol flame is colder?

becuase the chemical reaction produces less heat . i can't really take it any deeper than that

cragar said:
becuase the chemical reaction produces less heat . i can't really take it any deeper than that
That would appear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#As_a_fuel". Look at where wood is on the chart.

In fact, I wonder if that's related to the fact that there are lots of alcohol-burning vehicles there are out there, but not so much wood-burning vehicles...

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I see , but there was another thread about the color of flames and there energy that addressed this question , because gasoline burns red orange and it burns hotter than alcohol .

jtbell said:
If you mean, "what is the mechanism by which we perceive different wavelengths as having different colors?" that is a matter of biophysics (how the receptor cells in the eye respond to different wavelengths) and neurology (how the brain processes the information that it receives from the eye). You'd probably better ask about that in a biology forum, maybe even the one here on PF.

well , thanks ..
that`s really what I meant

1. What is a wavelength?

A wavelength is a measure of the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave. It is commonly denoted by the symbol λ (lambda) and is typically measured in meters (m).

2. How is wavelength related to frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This is described by the formula λ = c/f, where c is the speed of light and f is the frequency.

3. How does wavelength affect the properties of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave affects its properties such as energy, speed, and direction of propagation. Longer wavelengths have lower energy and travel slower, while shorter wavelengths have higher energy and travel faster.

4. What is the importance of wavelength in different fields of science?

Wavelength is an important concept in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and astronomy. It is used to describe and study various phenomena, such as light, sound, and electromagnetic radiation.

5. How is wavelength measured?

Wavelength can be measured using various techniques depending on the type of wave being studied. For example, for electromagnetic waves, it can be measured using a spectrophotometer, while for sound waves, it can be measured using an oscilloscope or a ruler and stopwatch.