What do you do when you don't really feel like doing anything that takes effort?

• Thread starter Mathguy15
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses two people's opinions on work. One person believes that work should be done only when the person feels like doing it, and the other believes that work should be done regardless of the person's feelings. Both of these people believe that work is a force (F) that is acted over (A) by the distance (d) traveled. Finally, effort is defined as work (W) times the natural resistance (ni) to it.
Mathguy15
I normally just wait until I feel like it. I don't think its a good idea to just power through unless you know you won't get disgusted with it for a long period of time. I wait until I feel like doing it, and then it gets done. Of course, I don't wait too long. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
When this thing that requires some actual thought and work isn't related to something I'd otherwise have to do anyway? Usually, I tell myself to do it anyway. If it happens to be an extension of whatever I'm doing at the time, I don't mind too much. I tend not to feel burned out if I have to do some long stretch of work. Exception: late-night stuff on saturday (like today! :D), in which case I'm almost always going to put off *insert thing I ought to be doing but won't because I won't feel the impact of not doing it until later*.

Sometimes, though, I just don't want to open that notebook laying there on the oh-so-comfy-looking bed, and, hey, that incomplete code is just sitting around on the laptop screen so if I close the laptop that textbook would fit neatly on top of it and the bed would be free... so I tuck away whatever would otherwise have priority and take a nap. (This is more of an issue of a lingering "problem"/benefit with a sleep experiment I put myself through rather than not liking the stuff I'm doing... but that's irrelevant atm :P.) I usually feel energetic after half an hour or so.

*edit* eh, I experimented w/ other sleep cycles before. I ended up going back to that 8hr thing everyone else does but got stuck w/ a noon nap. (part time work + classes left a small window of opportunity open, convincing me to foolishly pursue that sleep cycle test... meh. didn't work out so well.) Anyway, this relates to the above in that, for the month I actually kept up a modified sleep cycle, I felt totally fine with 6 hrs (while feeling more, eh, "active" and attentive). So, I'd recommend that if you happen to have a schedule that allows for weird nap times and want to get yourself in the mood to get more "stuff" done.

Last edited:
Mathguy15 said:
I normally just wait until I feel like it. I don't think its a good idea to just power through unless you know you won't get disgusted with it for a long period of time. I wait until I feel like doing it, and then it gets done. Of course, I don't wait too long. Thoughts?

This happens to me as well. Usually the kind of thing that changes these habits for me is when I do something at the last minute and it ends up as a disaster, or when I do it at the last minute and I don't get it finished properly at the time at which it is due.

Most of us I would think proscribe to optimizing our time in anything, whether that means finding a route to walk somewhere, or to get work done. If we find out that we can save an hour doing something, we probably will.

define effort.

Why, of course : I come hang out on PF !

Whenever this happens I go running. Come back, shower, and I am ready to get things done.

I either ignore the issue entirely or take a nap—usually both.

I order my slave to do it. If I can't be bothered to order I'm screwed.

Ryan_m_b said:
I order my slave to do it. If I can't be bothered to order I'm screwed.
That's why you need two slaves. They can order each other about and you can get back to reading QFT.

Mathguy15 said:

Sounds like the perfect rationalization for procrastination.

When I don't feel like doing anything, I try to answer life's greatest questions, like: "How many Cheetos will fit in my nose?" and "Where's the beef?"

mathwonk said:
define effort.

but that takes too much effort!

physics girl phd said:
but that takes too much effort!

Work is described as force (F) times the distance (d) is acts over. Force is defined as mass (m) times acceleration (a). And effort is defined as work times the natural resistance (ni) to it times the duration (t).

Effort = d*a*m*ni*t

FlexGunship said:
Effort = d*a*m*ni*t

:smile:

Brilliant!

I get tested for Lyme's Disease.

I ride my bicycle. Sure, it takes effort, but it's not work.

Related to What do you do when you don't really feel like doing anything that takes effort?

What causes a lack of motivation?

There are many factors that can contribute to a lack of motivation, such as stress, burnout, boredom, and lack of interest or purpose in the task at hand.

How can I overcome a lack of motivation?

One strategy is to break down the task into smaller, more manageable steps. Setting achievable goals and rewards for completing them can also help. It's also important to take breaks and engage in activities that bring joy and rejuvenation.

What role does mindset play in motivation?

Mindset is a crucial factor in motivation. A positive and growth-oriented mindset can help to overcome obstacles and see challenges as opportunities for growth. On the other hand, a negative mindset can lead to self-doubt and lack of motivation.

Is it okay to take a break when feeling unmotivated?

Yes, it is important to listen to your body and mind and take breaks when needed. Pushing through a lack of motivation may lead to burnout and decreased productivity in the long run. Taking a break can help to recharge and come back to the task with renewed energy and focus.

How can I maintain motivation in the long term?

One key way to maintain motivation is to have a clear sense of purpose and goals. Regularly reassessing and reminding yourself of your motivations and goals can help to stay on track. It's also important to cultivate a positive and supportive environment and to take care of your physical and mental health.