What's the secret ingredient in my wife's famous zucchini bread?

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
In summary, Pengwuino eats peanut butter every night, sometimes Ramen, and rice. He also has brownies in his mail.
heartless
I usually eat a soup, or make a few sandwiches, or eat a fried eggs, or even go and grab a chicken from a nearby fast food, but know we're holding guests in our house. One of them is my aunt's mom, and from then on she cooks a dinner everyday. She always does potatoes with something. Potatoes with fish, potatoes with chop, potatoes with various meat. I like it but I'm not used to that kind of eating. So, what do you usually eat for a dinner?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunday is the day i go to moms for dinner and take the dog out for a walk,
for dinner we had, roast lamb, yorkshire pudding, carrots and roast potatoes,
with mint sauce and beef gravy, i think sunday is the only day i have a proper meal, most days i have pizzas, chili, baked beans, crispy bacon sarnies, last night i had instant mash with added sardines and cheese spread, oh and onion.

Breakfast ...cereal...lunch...cereal or yogurt ...supper...whatever kind of canned soup I have on hand.

So, what do you usually eat for a dinner?
Ummm, Food. :uhh:

For the past month, usually peanut butter. I really need to get out and buy food.

Peanut butter!??! I looooooooove peanut butter :D

Pengwuino said:
Peanut butter!??! I looooooooove peanut butter :D
CRUNCHY peanut butter. It's getting a bit old having it every night. :frown:

Evo said:

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: send me some!

Evo said:

I did not know times were that hard Evo, :frown:. Peanut butter does not qualify as food. It's barely passes as a snack. You need some real food.

Pengwuino said:
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: send me some!
<scoops peanut butter into Pengwuino's computer> Oh, my. :redface: That doesn't look good. :blushing:

Perhaps I should have put it in a zip file first. :bugeye:

Sorry Pengwuino. o:)

cyrusabdollahi said:
I did not know times were that hard Evo, :frown:. Peanut butter does not qualify as food. It's barely passes as a snack. You need some real food.
I'll pm you my address and you can send me some crabcakes. :smile:

I don't think crabcakes mail well, you have to come down to DC if you want crabcakes, sorry.

Ramen. And rice. And I have brownies in my mail. i like the way my mail tastes.

EEEEWWWWW, you people eat some disgusting trash.

Yah you guys need to eat some real food!

cyrusabdollahi said:
EEEEWWWWW, you people eat some disgusting trash.

Maybe some people do not have the right flower pots :smile:

wolram said:
Maybe some people do not have the right flower pots :smile:

Or maybe you need a woman in your life? :devil:

You said your mom cooks on sundays, move back in with your mom, problem solved.

It depends on how tired I am when I got home. Usually some small portion of meat (when I buy it, I cut it all down to single servings and freeze it that way so I don't waste a lot, and it's fast to defrost)...the method of cooking and seasoning/sauces vary with mood and time. Either a potato, rice or pasta with it (though sometimes I skip the starch), and some sort of vegetable...at the beginning of the week, that's usually a fresh salad, but near the end of the week, when the fresh veggies have turned not-so-fresh, it's usually something frozen or out of a can.

Sometimes I cook ahead on the weekend and have something for several nights, like tonight I'm making chili (maybe...the chili powder didn't smell very chili-ish, I think it's too old, so I tried adding some other spices, which probably means it's either over-spiced, or is still going to taste flavorless), and last week I made a small pot of beef soup, and the week before I made eggplant parmesan. I especially do that when it's going to be a busy week, as the past two weeks were, so I don't have to cook when I get home, just heat up something. And, some days, I'm just working late, so grab something from the hospital cafeteria (they actually have pretty good food, though it's sometimes a drag if I ate there for lunch and they serve the same thing for both meals). Sometimes I also just snag something pre-cooked from the grocery store...they have decent sushi, which is always easy, or some other pre-made stuff. It's a bit better than fast food, which is the last resort.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Or maybe you need a woman in your life? :devil:

You said your mom cooks on sundays, move back in with your mom, problem solved.

I should have 7, all different nationalities, then i could have a varied diet.

Steak, tacos, Cheerios.

Pengwuino said:
Yah you guys need to eat some real food!

Real food is for the weak!

I just ate rice with nuts and rasins, a piece of chicken, salad and grape juice. Yum.

In a few days my finals are over and I get to go home for a few days and eat real food...my mom is making a turkey dinner because I missed easter because of finals. Yum.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I just ate rice with nuts and rasins, a piece of chicken, salad and grape juice. Yum.

That sounds so boring and taste less, are you on a diet? it is such a pain when one has to watch what one eats.

Hahahah, a brit telling me about taste in food. HAAAAAAAAH!

Im not on a diet. You see, the following are not actually food: Hot dogs, instant (anything), microwave (anything), frozen (anything). It's got loads of taste my friend, trust me. You are too used to motor oil.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Actually, I really enjoyed the food I had when visiting Britain. The pub food is really good comfort food type stuff. Oh, and I've followed Brewnog's recipe for Bubbles and Squeak a few times too, and I love it! I don't often have enough leftover stuff to put into it, but once in a while, I make a few too many vegetables on purpose, just to make it. It's especially good on a cold, rainy, winter night, which is probably what makes it so very British. :biggrin:

Okay, I just sat down and had my chili. Yummy! I think it's the best chili I've ever made. Now, if I could just remember what all I threw into it. :rolleyes: It had just the right amount of spice to it too...still a bit on the mild side, but very flavorful...that's with two chili peppers, a generous amount of Red Hot, quite a bit of ground red pepper, and hot Italian sausage. I probably could have added a bit more chili pepper. In addition to the chili powder, which might have done something, I added lots of extra cumin and garlic and oregano. The cumin seems to be just the thing. What a delightful flavor it added. Oh, and since I had run out of my usual types of beans for chili, I added chick peas instead...I highly recommend it. Their slightly nutty flavor really enhances the chili. :approve: For throwing together random things thrown in the cupboard and substituting half the recipe because I realized I didn't have the right ingredients after starting, it turned out amazing. :approve: (I just had to write that to get even for everyone making me drool last night over all the tasty food ideas.)

cyrusabdollahi said:

Im not on a diet. You see, the following are not actually food: Hot dogs, instant (anything), microwave (anything), frozen (anything). It's got loads of taste my friend, trust me. You are too used to motor oil.

Hmmm, seems one may need ,to eat more.

Thiamine is found in fortified breads, cereals, pasta, whole grains (especially wheat germ), lean meats (especially pork), fish, dried beans, peas, and soybeans.

I like chick peas. They are good. But I don't like spicy food at all. :yuck:

I hate anything and everything spicy. I like sour or tart.

Moon B, you just made me dribble on my tee shirt, and erm it is bubble and squeak.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I like chick peas. They are good. But I don't like spicy food at all. :yuck:

I hate anything and everything spicy. I like sour or tart.

Oh poor you, i feel so sorrry for people that can not experience all the wonderfull spices of the world, maybe is you start with a little pepper ?

What is so great about spices? All you taste is the spices, and not the food. My friend is from pakistan. I can't stand that rickshaw garbage. It's nothing but spice. MMMMMMMMM this rice tastes like curry. MMMMMMMM this meat tastes like curry. MMMMMMMMMM this curry tastes like curry. MMMMMMM let me wash it down with some curry water. :rolleyes:

wolram said:
Moon B, you just made me dribble on my tee shirt, and erm it is bubble and squeak.
Oops! Okay, I'll have to remember, it's singular, just one bubble. Still tastes good, even if mine is extra bubbly. :biggrin:

Cyrus, if you can't tolerate much spice, then you probably wouldn't appreciate the combination of flavors...you'd just be in pain. I can understand that...once in a while I add too much spice and that has happened to me too, and then it's really not enjoyable. But, for those of us who can tolerate the spice, it doesn't cause pain, and the blending of flavors is what we get out of it. If all you taste is one spice, and not any of the other flavors coming through it, then it's either too much spice added, or a spice you probably don't like so that's all you notice and it ruins the rest of the experience for you. I won't hold it against you if you stick to crabcakes (as long as you promise to share from time to time :approve:).

That said, I do really like curry, but it is either to give a new flavor to bland food (like chicken), or it helps a very strong food to seem milder and more palatable (like lamb or goat...though, even curry can't cover up the taste of goat for me...but, then, I'm really sensitive to the buck taste in goat meat that a lot of others either don't notice or think is a good flavor, but for me, it conjures up some nasty images associated with smelly, dirty behaviors of male goats, which is very unpalatable when you think of those associated with your food!) Oh, and red curry on french fries is just the thing when out having a late night beer at the pub too! :approve: That's another British thing I picked up from a Welshman in an Irish pub (the curry fries weren't on the menu, but since the pub owners were actually from Ireland, and not just some Americans running an Irish-like pub, they served them on request to the Brits who knew to ask for them).

As an aside, that's actually something I really enjoy about being a scientist. It truly is an international endeavor, and I get to meet so many people from so many different countries and one thing everyone seems to have in common is enjoying showing off their home cuisine. I've gotten to try so many different styles of food and combinations of spices that I'd have never even thought to combine otherwise, and all authentic, home-cooked type foods too. It makes dinner time so much nicer to have lots of variety to choose from.

Moonbear said:
Okay, I just sat down and had my chili. Yummy! I think it's the best chili I've ever made. Now, if I could just remember what all I threw into it. :rolleyes:

You've touched on one of my favorites. I was first introduced to chili in Indiana. My first attempt, i used a paper sack mix of seasonings (e.g. Carroll Shelby'sTexas Chili or Two-Alarm Chili)) , added meat, beans and vegetables. After browning the meat and boiling the beans (al dente), put the whole deal in a crock pot and let 'er simmer until all the seasonings come together.. A good chili is an amazing complexity of flavor. Mmmm boy... :tongue2:

After that, the scientist in me would not be still until I figured out what all they used in the package. I learned that "chili powder" is typically a mixture of dried chiles, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander and cloves. In addition, I like to use basil, fresh garlic, paprika, salt, and black pepper. The beans I simmer with bay leaf and savory. Generally, I use a mixture of http://waltonfeed.com/self/beans.html [Broken], as each adds its own complement of amino acids. (pinto, soy, kidney, garbanzo, cowpea and anasazi, whatever's in the pantry. I picked these in particular, because they all take about the same length of time to cook. . I use a pressure cooker @20psi for my beans, they go from dry to al dente in 45mins. If you soaked them overnight you reduce the cooking time down to 10-15mins and retain the more heat labile vitamins and amino acids.

Chiles (fresh or dried) are a category unto themselves. We could devote a whole discussion to this group of zesty peppers alone.. The ones I've tried so far are: cayenne, jalapeño, chipotle (smoked-dried jalapeño), habañero (be careful with this one ) , and thai fingerlings. Each imparts a different effect of heat. Experiment with them to find just the right zest for your taste. Here's another site for chili peppers with nice photos.

For vegetables, I use celery, green bell pepper, onion and http://www.wegmans.com/kitchen/ingredients/produce/vegetables/tomatillo.asp [Broken], if you have some. Next are tomatos; plums are good, as they are meatier (fresh or canned). You can thicken with tomato paste or more traditionally with masa harina (maize,corn) flour.

If you enjoy meat in your chili, you can take your pick. I've used ground beef, ground poultry, steak (cubed). Any smoked meat works, as the smoke imparts a delicious flavor. (also a reason I like using chipotles). I've heard use of following meats have taken prizes at chili cookoffs: boar, mutton, buffalo, venison, rabbit, snake & armadillo, possum, raccoon and beaver.

I brown the meat, onions, garlic; add cooked beans and rest of ingredients to a crockpot. Let simmer a few hours, readjusting seasoning as it cooks.. :tongue2:

Now you have me curious.. What is your recipe for "bubble and squeak"?

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
What is so great about spices? All you taste is the spices, and not the food. My friend is from pakistan. I can't stand that rickshaw garbage. It's nothing but spice. MMMMMMMMM this rice tastes like curry. MMMMMMMM this meat tastes like curry. MMMMMMMMMM this curry tastes like curry. MMMMMMM let me wash it down with some curry water. :rolleyes:

In England bad mouthing curry is considered akin to calling the queen an old harpy.

Curry is the food of the Gods, and the sheer variety of curries is extroardinary, each with a million and one subtle flavours. Curries are an acquired taste though, some people taste a hot one and it turns them off trying curry; but if you start mild and work your way up you'll soon find that there's a real adventure in ordering the different indian dishes.

You need some literary help, not only are their thousands of recipes but their are dozens of countries that make their own distinctive curries.

Try a curry bible, there are one or two, they have hundreds of recipes, from Thai, to Malay, to Indian, to Nepalese dishes.

Ouabache said:
After that, the scientist in me would not be still until I figured out what all they used in the package. I learned that "chili powder" is typically a mixture of dried chiles, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander and cloves.
I've never heard of cloves in chili. :yuck: Don't usually see corriander either, but I could see adding it if you wanted. Chili powder is usually just chili Pepper, red pepper, oregano, cumin, and maybe garlic, I've also seen paprika added.

<h2>1. What makes your wife's zucchini bread so delicious?</h2><p>The secret ingredient in my wife's famous zucchini bread is her homemade vanilla extract. She makes it using high-quality vanilla beans and lets it infuse for months, giving the bread a rich and unique flavor.</p><h2>2. Is there a specific type of zucchini that works best for this bread?</h2><p>My wife prefers to use fresh, organic zucchini from our local farmer's market for her bread. However, any type of zucchini will work as long as it is grated and drained well before adding it to the batter.</p><h2>3. Can I substitute the secret ingredient with something else?</h2><p>While you can certainly experiment with different ingredients in your zucchini bread, I highly recommend using my wife's secret ingredient for the best flavor. You can also try adding a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg for an extra kick.</p><h2>4. How do you prevent the zucchini bread from becoming too moist?</h2><p>The key to avoiding a soggy bread is to make sure you drain the grated zucchini well. You can do this by placing it in a colander and pressing down with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Also, do not overmix the batter, as this can create a dense and moist bread.</p><h2>5. Can I freeze the zucchini bread for later?</h2><p>Absolutely! My wife often makes a double batch of her zucchini bread and freezes one loaf for later. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container before freezing. It can last up to 3 months in the freezer.</p>

1. What makes your wife's zucchini bread so delicious?

The secret ingredient in my wife's famous zucchini bread is her homemade vanilla extract. She makes it using high-quality vanilla beans and lets it infuse for months, giving the bread a rich and unique flavor.

2. Is there a specific type of zucchini that works best for this bread?

My wife prefers to use fresh, organic zucchini from our local farmer's market for her bread. However, any type of zucchini will work as long as it is grated and drained well before adding it to the batter.

3. Can I substitute the secret ingredient with something else?

While you can certainly experiment with different ingredients in your zucchini bread, I highly recommend using my wife's secret ingredient for the best flavor. You can also try adding a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg for an extra kick.

4. How do you prevent the zucchini bread from becoming too moist?

The key to avoiding a soggy bread is to make sure you drain the grated zucchini well. You can do this by placing it in a colander and pressing down with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Also, do not overmix the batter, as this can create a dense and moist bread.

5. Can I freeze the zucchini bread for later?

Absolutely! My wife often makes a double batch of her zucchini bread and freezes one loaf for later. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container before freezing. It can last up to 3 months in the freezer.