What does it take to be a distinguished physicist?

• Thread starter UraniumCatalys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: If your main goal is to become a distinguished physicist, then you're setting yourself up for a giant disappointment. Such a thing is almost impossible. The chance you obtain even a professorship in physics is 1%. And a professor isn't even close to a distinguished physicist. Furthermore, if your goal is to be famous and stuff, then you're having the wrong mindset for physics. You should go into physics because you enjoy it and because you want to find out more about the world you live in.
Student100 said:
Oh please, it was quite clear in the initial argument that we were discussing the average billions of people who don’t suffer from a mental disability. That there is no physical mechanism or magic quality in your genes that say genius, or gifted.

And why exactly are we excluding people who suffer from mental disabilities? Because they don't fit your belief system?

Physics news on Phys.org
R136a1 said:
And why exactly are we excluding people who suffer from mental disabilities? Because they don't fit your belief system?

You're also arguing nature plays a role in intelligence, not just nurture as I posit.

I don’t include them because I believe the body of research that suggests physical genetic variations can result in a developmental disability. I have no belief system, I’m countering against something that hasn’t actually been shown to exist. We can’t quantify intelligence in people without disabilities, and no physical mechanism that can studied allows us to do so.

Nowhere has the debate about nature and nurture been so controversial as in the study of mental ability in humans5,90,91. Controversies about the concept and use of intelligence quotient (IQ), a phenotypic measurement of relative performance on a series of mental ability tests, are manifold. They include: its definition (‘intelligence is what intelligence tests measure’90); documented historical abuse relating to eugenics; inference about the cause of observed differences between ethnic groups (see BOX 2); incorrect statistical inference from observational studies90; and disputed implications of IQ differences between individuals and groups on social and economic interventions92,93. We will not discuss the uses and abuses of measures of cognitive ability, but we will point out that there is abundant empirical evidence that shows that IQ is a good predictor of outcomes in life, including educational attainment, income and health94. Controversy about IQ is by and large because of social, not scientific, reasons. Here, we focus on one point of controversy about IQ: its heritability.

Right afterwards they go on to claim that IQ is genetic, but without addressing any of the above. No where is the above addressed.

Student100 said:
We can’t quantify intelligence in people without disabilities, and no physical mechanism that can studied allows us to do so.

How do you think people get quantified as mentally disabled to begin with? Its not a line where everyone falls on a side, its a continuum from very high functioning to very low functioning and everywhere in between. If there is one retarded person out there that is mentally incapable of being a physicist (distinguished or otherwise) then not all people can be physicists. Retarded people are people too. As you go up the continuum you get to people that are not so retarded that they get SSD, but they are borderline. They are going to have a real hard time being a physicist. Many of them can barely maintain the basics of life without the help of friends and family.

Have you ever worked with a disadvantaged population? If you did I doubt you would be making these claims. Its a ridiculous politically correct fantasy that anybody can do anything if they try. That a lie that teachers tell students to keep them motivated and its a way that smart people convince themselves they earned their status rather than being born well equipped.

Likes 1 person
ModusPwnd said:
How do you think people get quantified as mentally disabled to begin with? Its not a line where everyone falls on a side, its a continuum from very high functioning to very low functioning and everywhere in between. If there is one retarded person out there that is mentally incapable of being a physicist (distinguished or otherwise) then not all people can be physicists. Retarded people are people too. As you go up the continuum you get to people that are not so retarded that they get SSD, but they are borderline. They are going to have a real hard time being a physicist. Many of them can barely maintain the basics of life without the help of friends and family.

Have you ever worked with a disadvantaged population? If you did I doubt you would be making these claims. Its a ridiculous politically correct fantasy that anybody can do anything if they try. That a lie that teachers tell students to keep them motivated and its a way that smart people convince themselves they earned their status rather than being born well equipped.
Go on misrepresenting the argument, that's fine. Border line what? How much of that not so retarded isn’t an easily diagnosed genetic defect and instead environmental opportunity.

There have been no genes linked to a preposition of physics learning ability. The Flynn effect basically shows that a genetic correlation for IQ, if it exists which hasn't been shown, contributes a far smaller amount to what we call intelligence than environment.

We can’t even accurately define intelligence, let along quantify it and show the physical mechanism.

Again, we already know the silencing or damaging of certain genes can result in developmental issues, we aren’t talking about this group.

Last edited:
Student100 said:
Go on misrepresenting the argument, that's fine.

Now you're just avoiding the argument. If he's misrepresenting the argument, point out where and set straight what your actual argument is. No need for passive-aggressive replies such as this one. This is not youtube.

R136a1 said:
Now you're just avoiding the argument. If he's misrepresenting the argument, point out where and set straight what your actual argument is. No need for passive-aggressive replies such as this one. This is not youtube.

I’m quite done with the argument, actually. I don’t think it’s getting us anywhere. 

Student100 said:
I don’t think it’s getting us anywhere. 

Agreed!

Likes 1 person
Student100 said:
I don’t think it’s getting us anywhere.
This makes for a good ending point for this thread.

Thread closed.