What Does Mean Ortocrone Group

In summary, the Ortocrone Group is a functional group attached to a benzene ring at the ortho position. It is unique because of its reactivity and ability to undergo various reactions. Some common reactions include electrophilic and nucleophilic aromatic substitutions, as well as oxidation reactions. The Ortocrone Group is often used in organic synthesis as a directing group. However, there are potential hazards associated with this compound and proper safety measures should be followed.
ber70
When I searched "ortocrone" with google, I found only 93 results. Most of all results were Spanish. Now I wonder history of ortocrone group.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of an ortocrone group. The spelling makes me think of the orthochronous Lorentz group, the first word of which may be ortocrone in Spanish. Where did you see this?

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like the orthochronous subgroup of the Lorentz group, so you should probably google "orthochronous" instead of "ortocrone".

After conducting some research, it appears that the term "ortocrone" may refer to a specific group within the field of geology, specifically in relation to the study of orogeny (the process of mountain building). This group may have been active in the 1960s and 1970s, with some of their publications and research being primarily in Spanish.

It is possible that the group was formed to study the geological history and formation of the Iberian Peninsula, which includes Spain and Portugal. This may explain why many of the results you found were in Spanish.

However, without further information or context, it is difficult to determine the exact history and purpose of the ortocrone group. I would suggest reaching out to experts in the field of geology or conducting further research to gather more information about this group and their contributions to the study of orogeny.

1. What is the Ortocrone Group?

The Ortocrone Group is a term commonly used in chemistry to refer to a specific type of molecule or compound. It is also known as an ortho group or ortho substituent. It refers to a functional group that is attached to a benzene ring at the ortho position, meaning it is located at the 2nd and 6th carbon atoms of the ring.

2. How is the Ortocrone Group different from other functional groups?

The Ortocrone Group is unique because it is directly attached to the benzene ring, which has a delocalized system of electrons. This makes the group more reactive and able to undergo different reactions compared to other functional groups that are not attached to a benzene ring.

3. What are some common reactions of the Ortocrone Group?

The Ortocrone Group can undergo various types of reactions, including electrophilic aromatic substitution, nucleophilic aromatic substitution, and oxidation reactions. It is also susceptible to reactions that break the benzene ring, such as Birch reduction and Clemmensen reduction.

4. How is the Ortocrone Group used in organic synthesis?

The Ortocrone Group is often used as a directing group, meaning it can direct a reaction to take place at a specific carbon atom on the benzene ring. This allows for the synthesis of more complex molecules and can also control the regioselectivity of reactions.

5. Are there any potential hazards associated with the Ortocrone Group?

As with any chemical compound, there are potential hazards associated with the Ortocrone Group. It is important to handle these compounds with caution and follow proper safety protocols. Some reactions of the Ortocrone Group, such as reduction reactions, can produce flammable or toxic byproducts, so proper ventilation is also important.