What does moment of inertia depend on?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
avito009
Messages
184
Reaction score
4
I thought moment of inertia depends on mass of the object and also its shape. But prof Lewin says it doesn't depend on mass. See this video:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
avito009 said:
I thought moment of inertia depends on mass of the object and also its shape. But prof Lewin says it doesn't depend on mass.
No, he does not say that.
 
This doesn't regard the inertial moment much.
 
He says no such thing, You've wasted fifteen minutes of my time. I hope you got your laughs from that.
 
avito009 said:
But prof Lewin says it doesn't depend on mass.
Not quite. He does demonstrate that the acceleration does not depend on the mass.

Not even sure he mentions the term 'moment of inertia' at all in that video.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
He says no such thing, You've wasted fifteen minutes of my time. I hope you got your laughs from that.
This is so funny! On the assumption that every post deserves some sort of response..Dont read this. Sorry.. Too late
But seriously, does your 15 minutes 'wasted' time include the time needed to make your post?
 
No, just watching the 15 minute video.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
He says no such thing, You've wasted fifteen minutes of my time. I hope you got your laughs from that.

You should have told him that the answer to his question is somewhere in the folloing lecture:

 
I don't think this thread serves any purpose any more. It should probably be closed or moved out of view.