What does the abbreviation YP stand for?

• Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
In summary, the notation YP stands for the primordial abundance of the particular isotope being discussed, with Y representing the mass fraction of helium and P representing the primordial state. This notation has been traditionally used since early papers on the topic and is based on the division of elements into three categories - hydrogen (X), helium (Y), and everything else (Z).
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I have been looking up information about the promordial abundances of isotopes on the internet, and I find many of the papers discussing this use the notation YP (where P is usually a subscript). Can anyone tell me what this YP stands for? It appently means the primoridal abundance of the particular isotope being discussed, but what do the letters Y and P stand for?

Space news on Phys.org
bapowell said:
Mass fraction of Helium 4

Thank you for responding bapowell, but you misunderstood what I was asking. The context value told me that it was for He 4 , but what do the letters "Y" and "P" stand for?

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/teaching/astr422/lecture25.pdf
==quote page 1 of lecture 25 of an astro course by Prof. Coleman Miller at University of Maryland==
Observations of Light Element Abundances

Last time we discussed the expectations of Big Bang Nucleosynthesis (BBN to its friends). Here we talk about the observations. For a bit of change of pace, and to give some appreciation of the difficulties and the care needed, we’re going to go the sausage-making route here: lots of gory details. In some cases, we will use the standard nomenclature that X is the mass fraction of hydrogen, Y is the mass fraction of helium, and Z is the combined mass fraction of everything else.
==endquote==
The notation seems to be traditional, somebody (Peebles1966? earlier?) found it convenient to divide stuff up into three categories (H, He, Other) and to study the probable division into 3 mass fractions.
The subscript "p" as you guessed stands for "primordial".

It sometimes happens that a notation goes back to early papers on the topic. Somebody made a (possibly arbitrary) choice and it stuck---becoming traditional.
Here is some historical background:
https://software.rc.fas.harvard.edu/pairitel/talks/PrimordialFireball.pdf
But I don't know which authors first made that division into X + Y + Z

Last edited:
Hi marcus:

Thanks very much for the history. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Related to What does the abbreviation YP stand for?

1. What does YP stand for?

YP can stand for many different things depending on the context. Some common meanings include "young professional," "yellow pages," and "yield point."

2. Is YP an acronym or an abbreviation?

YP is an abbreviation, which is a shortened form of a word or phrase. Acronyms are typically formed from the initial letters of a phrase and are pronounced as a word, while abbreviations are pronounced as individual letters.

3. Where is the abbreviation YP commonly used?

YP is most commonly used in business and professional settings, such as job titles or listings in directories. It is also used in some industries, such as engineering, to refer to specific terms or measurements.

4. Can YP have multiple meanings?

Yes, YP can have multiple meanings depending on the context. It is important to clarify the specific meaning when using this abbreviation to avoid confusion.

5. Are there any other common abbreviations that are similar to YP?

Yes, some other common abbreviations that are similar to YP include "YT" for "YouTube," "YM" for "young man," and "YPG" for "young professional group."