1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What does the ellipse tell me?

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

intersection [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=4[/tex] and plane [tex]y=z[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

so, i solve it simultaneously, and get the equation of ellipse [tex]x^2+2y^2=4[/tex]. but what does the ellipse tell me? is that the points of the intersection?, but aren't it should be a circle?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    Re: geometry

First, that's not the equation for an elipse. I would be ((x^2)/4)+((y^2)/2)=1. Then set y=0 to find the intercepts. You can use the first equation you found to do that easily, you'll get [tex]\pm[/tex]2.

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

the first equation is the equation for a sphere of radius 2, and any plane thorugh the origin will intersect it in a circle

after substituting y=z, the equation you get is that of an ellipse projected onto the xy plane, but remember you have the extra z coordinate, so in the y=z plane it is still a circle

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4

Yeah, that's right, but the method he did still works. Just the substitution changes things. Checked on wolframalpha and it is x=[tex]\pm[/tex]2

6. Aug 29, 2010 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

why do you get 2 points? it should be the equation of a circle shouldn't it?

7. Aug 29, 2010 #6

i messed up, don't have basics on geometry, maybe i should read first some on plane and sphere. later i show my work

8. Aug 29, 2010 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

i think what you did is ok, just missed a bit on interpretation at the end

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook