Showing that the solutions form an ellipse

In summary: You are on the wrong track, We have ##|z - (a + bi)| = \sqrt{(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2}##, so it is not complicated at all.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let |z+1| + |z-1| = 7 where z are complex numbers. Show that the solutions to this equation form an ellipse with foci at (+/-)1

Homework Equations

(x^2 / a) + (y^2 / b) = 1 equation for an ellipse

The Attempt at a Solution

I set z = a + bi and so |z-1| = ((a-1)^2 + b^2)^1/2 and analogously for |z+1|. I'm a bit confused now, if I square both sides I wind up with a big mess, how to I beat this into a form that's recognizable as an ellipse?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let |z+1| + |z-1| = 7 where z are complex numbers. Show that the solutions to this equation form an ellipse with foci at (+/-)1

Homework Equations

(x^2 / a) + (y^2 / b) = 1 equation for an ellipse

The Attempt at a Solution

I set z = a + bi and so |z-1| = ((a-1)^2 + b^2)^1/2 and analogously for |z+1|. I'm a bit confused now, if I square both sides I wind up with a big mess, how to I beat this into a form that's recognizable as an ellipse?

Keep expanding: if ##d_1=|z-i|## and ##d_2 = |z+i|##, you have ##d_1+d_2 = 7##, so ##2 d_1 d_2 = 49 - d_1^2 - d_2^2##. Square both sides again and see what you get.

Likes PsychonautQQ
but d_1 and d_2 are |z (+/-) 1| not |z(+/-)i|

PsychonautQQ said:
but d_1 and d_2 are |z (+/-) 1| not |z(+/-)i|

So, make the necessary changes. It really does not matter.

Likes PsychonautQQ
I'm not sure if this is as neat as you make it look, I mean squaring the d_1^2 and d_2^2 is a messy ordeal in itself. I need to extract the real and complex parts from the d_1 and d_2 before i beat it into elliptical form, right?

Squared it again and got 2401 - 98(d_1)^2 - 98(d_2)^2 - 2(d_1*d_2)^2 + d_1^4 + d_2^4 = 0

These d^4 are scaring me, this looks like it's just getting more messy, am I doing this right?

PsychonautQQ said:
Squared it again and got 2401 - 98(d_1)^2 - 98(d_2)^2 - 2(d_1*d_2)^2 + d_1^4 + d_2^4 = 0

These d^4 are scaring me, this looks like it's just getting more messy, am I doing this right?

Expand it out in detail. You cannot predict what will happen if you do not try it. In other words, ##d_1^2 = (x-1)^2+y^2 = x^2 - 2x + 1 + y^2##, and ##d_1^4 = (x^2+y^2-2x+1)^2 = \cdots ##, etc.

PsychonautQQ said:
if I square both sides I wind up with a big mess
Not sure that it is any easier, but you can limit the mess by working as far as possible with ##z## and ##\overline z##. First, derive an expansion for |z-1|2.

PsychonautQQ said:

Actually, instead of what I suggested in #7, write ##2 d_1 d_2 = 7^2 - d_1^2 - d_2^2##, and write out the right-hand side here as ##A x^2 + B y^2 + Cx+D## before squaring it. That makes things a lot easier----still messy, but easier.

PsychonautQQ said:
I'm not sure if this is as neat as you make it look, I mean squaring the d_1^2 and d_2^2 is a messy ordeal in itself. I need to extract the real and complex parts from the d_1 and d_2 before i beat it into elliptical form, right?

You are on the wrong track, We have ##|z - (a + bi)| = \sqrt{(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2}##, so it is not complicated at all.

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as a set of points in a plane, the sum of whose distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is a constant.

2. How can I show that the solutions form an ellipse?

To show that the solutions form an ellipse, we can use the equation for an ellipse: x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1. By plugging in the values for a and b that represent the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively, we can plot the points and see that they form an elliptical shape.

3. What are the properties of an ellipse?

An ellipse has several important properties, including: a major axis and minor axis, two foci, an eccentricity, and a center point. It is also symmetrical about both its axes, meaning that it is identical when rotated 180 degrees about its center point.

4. Can an ellipse be represented by other equations?

Yes, an ellipse can also be represented by other equations, such as the parametric equations: x = a cos(t) and y = b sin(t), where t is a parameter that ranges from 0 to 2π. It can also be represented by a polar equation: r = a(1 - e cosθ), where e is the eccentricity and θ is the angle from the major axis.

5. What are some examples of ellipses in real life?

Ellipses can be found in many natural and man-made objects, such as the orbits of planets around the sun, the shape of some fruits and vegetables (e.g. watermelons, eggplants), and the design of elliptical machines. They are also commonly used in architecture, art, and engineering designs.