1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that the solutions form an ellipse

1. Jan 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let |z+1| + |z-1| = 7 where z are complex numbers. Show that the solutions to this equation form an ellipse with foci at (+/-)1

2. Relevant equations
    (x^2 / a) + (y^2 / b) = 1 equation for an ellipse

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set z = a + bi and so |z-1| = ((a-1)^2 + b^2)^1/2 and analogously for |z+1|. I'm a bit confused now, if I square both sides I wind up with a big mess, how to I beat this into a form that's recognizable as an ellipse?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Keep expanding: if ##d_1=|z-i|## and ##d_2 = |z+i|##, you have ##d_1+d_2 = 7##, so ##2 d_1 d_2 = 49 - d_1^2 - d_2^2##. Square both sides again and see what you get.

4. Jan 30, 2017 #3
    but d_1 and d_2 are |z (+/-) 1| not |z(+/-)i|

5. Jan 30, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, make the necessary changes. It really does not matter.

6. Jan 30, 2017 #5
    I'm not sure if this is as neat as you make it look, I mean squaring the d_1^2 and d_2^2 is a messy ordeal in itself. I need to extract the real and complex parts from the d_1 and d_2 before i beat it into elliptical form, right?

7. Jan 30, 2017 #6
    Squared it again and got 2401 - 98(d_1)^2 - 98(d_2)^2 - 2(d_1*d_2)^2 + d_1^4 + d_2^4 = 0

These d^4 are scaring me, this looks like it's just getting more messy, am I doing this right?

8. Jan 30, 2017 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Expand it out in detail. You cannot predict what will happen if you do not try it. In other words, ##d_1^2 = (x-1)^2+y^2 = x^2 - 2x + 1 + y^2##, and ##d_1^4 = (x^2+y^2-2x+1)^2 = \cdots ##, etc.

9. Jan 30, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure that it is any easier, but you can limit the mess by working as far as possible with ##z## and ##\overline z##. First, derive an expansion for |z-1|2.

10. Jan 30, 2017 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, instead of what I suggested in #7, write ##2 d_1 d_2 = 7^2 - d_1^2 - d_2^2##, and write out the right-hand side here as ##A x^2 + B y^2 + Cx+D## before squaring it. That makes things a lot easier----still messy, but easier.

11. Jan 31, 2017 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are on the wrong track, We have ##|z - (a + bi)| = \sqrt{(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2}##, so it is not complicated at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted