micromass Staff Emeritus Science Advisor Homework Helper Insights Author Messages 22,170 Reaction score 3,335 May 31, 2011 #31 Metric_Space said: I'm not sure how to describe polynomials of this form polynomials of what form?
micromass Staff Emeritus Science Advisor Homework Helper Insights Author Messages 22,170 Reaction score 3,335 May 31, 2011 #33 What about it? It's a quotient of the constant polynomial i and the polynomial x(x+i)... Thus a(x)=i and b(x)=x(x+i)... I don't really see your confusion here.
What about it? It's a quotient of the constant polynomial i and the polynomial x(x+i)... Thus a(x)=i and b(x)=x(x+i)... I don't really see your confusion here.
Metric_Space Messages 96 Reaction score 0 May 31, 2011 #34 I was trying to figure out a way of writing things not in the subring, other than the way already written in the question
I was trying to figure out a way of writing things not in the subring, other than the way already written in the question
micromass Staff Emeritus Science Advisor Homework Helper Insights Author Messages 22,170 Reaction score 3,335 May 31, 2011 #35 Well, take some elements in (x). And put them in the denumerator of the fraction. Then you obtain things not in the subring. You obtain things in the subring, by taking elements in (x) and putting them in the denumerator of the fraction...
Well, take some elements in (x). And put them in the denumerator of the fraction. Then you obtain things not in the subring. You obtain things in the subring, by taking elements in (x) and putting them in the denumerator of the fraction...