Understanding Complex Number Equations: An Exploration

On adding the two equations, you will get the desired result in terms of x and y.I think this is the only other way to solve the problem. You will need the fact that ##\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1## and ##2 \cos \theta \sin \theta = \sin 2 \theta##.
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

if ## x + iy## = ## \frac a {b+ cos ∅ + i sin ∅} ##
then show that
##(b^2-1)(x^2+y^2)+a^2 = 2abx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i let ## ... ##x + iy = ## \ a(b+cos ∅ - i sin ∅)##/ ##(b + cos ∅)^2 + sin^2∅ ##...got stuck here...

alternatively i let
## b + cos ∅ + i sin ∅## = ## a/(x +iy)## then it follows that
## b+ cos ∅ + i sin ∅## = ## a(x-iy)/(x^2 +y^2)##
## x^2 + y^2 = a(x-iy)/ (b+ cos ∅+ i sin ∅)##...advise stuck again...am i doing something wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello chwala,

If two complex numbers are equal, you have two equations:
real parts must be equal
imaginary parts must be equal

I don't see you making use of that explicitly ?

BvU said:
Hello chwala,

real parts must be equal

ok, let me try that and see will post on Monday greetings from Malaysia...

Also, you will need to multiply the right-hand side of the original equation by the complex conjugate in order to get rid of the imaginary part in the denominator.

As a simple example, note the following:

$$\frac {1}{a + ib} \cdot \frac {a - ib}{a - ib} = \frac {a-ib}{a^2 + iab - iab - i^2 b^2} = \frac{a - ib}{a^2 - i^2 b^2} = \frac{a - ib}{a^2 + b^2}$$

BvU said:
Hello chwala,

real parts must be equal

Still having a problem even after equating them...

chwala said:
Still having a problem even after equating them...
Show us what you get; explain where and why you are having a problem. We cannot help if we don't know what you are doing.

I find it intuitive to force the solution to have a real denominator which leads to separation.The rest is simply abstract thinking which is the fun part.

Somali_Physicist said:
I find it intuitive to force the solution to have a real denominator which leads to separation.The rest is simply abstract thinking which is the fun part.
X- (a cos ¤)/((b+cos ¤)^2+sin^2¤) = 0 and y + (a sin ¤)/((b + cos ¤)^2 + sin^2 ¤)=0
On solving simultaneous
-y(a cos ¤)-(ax sin ¤)=0
Sorry I am posting from my Android phone... Am I correct?

Sorry s
chwala said:
X- (a cos ¤)/((b+cos ¤)^2+sin^2¤) = 0 and y + (a sin ¤)/((b + cos ¤)^2 + sin^2 ¤)=0
On solving simultaneous
-y(a cos ¤)-(ax sin ¤)=0
Sorry I am posting from my Android phone... Am I correct?
Sorry small correction

y(ab + a cos ¤)+ ax sin ¤ = 0...

chwala said:

Homework Statement

if x+iyx+iy x + iy = ab+cos∅+isin∅ab+cos∅+isin∅ \frac a {b+ cos ∅ + i sin ∅}
then show that
(b2−1)(x2+y2)+a2=2abx(b2−1)(x2+y2)+a2=2abx(b^2-1)(x^2+y^2)+a^2 = 2abx
If two complex numbers are equal then their modulus squares are also equal. The modulus of square of LHS = x² + y² which occurs in the expression to be proved. So I suggest rationalize the denominator of RHS and write it as A + iB. and then the modulus squares of the two sides and simplify.Hope you get the result. But do something.

The difficulty with your work is that you are not able to get an equation or equations which has real numbers only. We all are suggesting you that only and you are doing nothingor not rpoerting your work in this direction or as per our advices.

Likes chwala
Thanks, I know modulus can solve... I am looking for another method...

chwala said:
That is a good pursuit. Why that when you know that the the two representations are equivalent and even the two methods will also be equivalent. By other did you get the value of x and y in terms of real numbers a, b and phi?

Last edited:
Likes chwala
The operation of complex conjugation is very powerful. We know that complex conjugate of sum or product or even division of two complex numbers is the sum, or product or division of their conjugates. So you can immediately write

x-iy = a/(b+cos φ -i sinφ) add to this what is given and you can get x immediately. Pursue this method as another method.

Likes chwala and BvU
chwala said:
I will post the last steps in my modulus method tomorrow to show understanding and mastery, my concern is using another method apart from modulus..

chwala said:
my concern is using another method apart from modulus
I don't think there is another way. The right side of the original equation is a quotient with a complex number in the denominator. The only way I know to rewrite such a quotient in the form a + bi is to multiply the fraction by 1 in the form of the complex conjugate of the denominator over itself. The right side of the equation has to be written in the form of a + bi so as to equate its real and imaginary parts with those of the other side of the equation.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
I don't think there is another way. The right side of the original equation is a quotient with a complex number in the denominator. The only way I know to rewrite such a quotient in the form a + bi is to multiply the fraction by 1 in the form of the complex conjugate of the denominator over itself. The right side of the equation has to be written in the form of a + bi so as to equate its real and imaginary parts with those of the other side of the equation.

There is another way, without use of conjugate or modulus, let me post it now

## (x +iy)(b + cos Φ + i sin Φ) = a##
## xb + x cos Φ - y sin Φ = a ##
and
## yb + xsin Φ + y cos Φ = 0##
##x cos Φ - y sin Φ = a -xb##
## x sin Φ + y cos Φ = -yb##
on squaring each side of the equation,
##(x cos Φ - ysin Φ)^2 = (a-xb)^2##
##x^2cos^2Φ-2xycosΦ sin Φ+y^2sin^2Φ=a^2-2abx +x^2b^2##...1
##(x sin Φ +y cosΦ)^2=(-yb)^2##
##x^2sin^2Φ+2xy sin Φ cos Φ+y^2cos^2Φ= y^2b^2##......2
adding 1 and 2,
##x^2(cos^Φ+sin^2Φ)+y^2(sin^2Φ+cos^2Φ)= a^2-2abx+x^2b^2+y^2b^2##
## x^2+y^2= a^2-2abx +x^2b^2 + y^2b^2##
## 2abx = a^2 +x^2(-1+b^2) + y^2(-1+b^2)##
therefore,
##2abx = (b^2-1)(x^2+y^2)+ a^2##

I will post the modulus method later, so we can't use the conjugate method in this problem, still wondering why, i will give it another try...thanks guys...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes BvU
chwala said:
I will post the modulus method later, so we can't use the conjugate method in this problem, still wondering why, i will give it another try...thanks guys...
(x+iy)(b+cosφ+i sinφ) = a-----(1), taking complex conjugate on both sides we get
(x-iy)(b+cosφ-i sinφ) = a -------(2) multiplying LHSs and RHSs we get
(x² +y²) (b² +1 +2bcosφ) = a² ---------------------- (3), we need to eliminate cosφ and bring in x
For that
Writing original expression
(x+iy) = [a/(b+cosφ+i sinφ)] ----------------------(4) Taking complex conjugate
(x-iy) = [a/(b+cosφ-i sinφ)] -----------------------(5); adding (4) and (5) we get
[2a(b+cosφ)/(b² +1 +2bcosφ)] = 2x --------------(6) multiplying (3) and (6) we get
[2a(b+cosφ)(x² +y²)] = 2xa² or
[2(b+cosφ)(x² +y²)] = 2xa ------ (7)
Eliminating cosφ between (3) and (7) should give you the result.
They are all equivalent methods because you said complex conjugate will not work I did this all work
Hope it helps

Likes BvU and chwala
chwala said:
and
adding 1 and 2,
therefore,

Ok, I don't get this. You seem to have eliminated ##\phi## to get a relation between the real numbers ##x##, ##y##, ##a## and ##b##. But you can get a stronger conclusion if the given relation is true for any ##\phi##. Putting ##\phi =0## and ##\phi = \pi## gives you ##x+iy=\frac{a}{b+1}=\frac{a}{b-1}## leading to the conclusion ##a=x=y=0## and ##b## can be anything. Which means your derived relation works, but kind of vacuously. I think what you probably mean is that ##x## and ##y## are functions of ##\phi##. In which case it's probably better to write them as ##x(\phi)## and ##y(\phi)##.

Last edited:
Dick said:
if the given relation is true for any ϕ
It clearly is not. So the qualification 'vacuously' is unfounded.
I think Chwala did well.

a tip for Chwala: you want to use ## \sin\phi ## to get ##\ \sin\phi \ ## instead of ## sin\phi ## ( ##sin\phi \ ##)

Likes chwala
chwala said:
and
adding 1 and 2,
therefore,

I did it another way and spent two ****en days on this.Thankyou for such a question !

Likes chwala
Dick said:
Ok, I don't get this. You seem to have eliminated ϕϕ\phi to get a relation between the real numbers xxx, yyy, aaa and bbb. But you can get a stronger conclusion if the given relation is true for any ϕϕ\phi. Putting ϕ=0ϕ=0\phi =0 and ϕ=πϕ=π\phi = \pi gives you x+iy=ab+1=ab−1x+iy=ab+1=ab−1x+iy=\frac{a}{b+1}=\frac{a}{b-1} leading to the conclusion a=x=y=0a=x=y=0a=x=y=0 and bbb can be anything. Which means your derived relation works, but kind of vacuously. I think what you probably mean is that xxx and yyy are functions of ϕϕ\phi. In which case it's probably better to write them as x(ϕ)x(ϕ)x(\phi) and y(ϕ)y(ϕ)y(\phi).
I do not agree. when a complex number x+iy has been given equal to another complex containing a, b and ϕ, then it is obvious that both x and y will be function of the variables a, b and ϕ, although they may not be independent variables.

My second objection is by putting x = 0 and x = π\, you are converting the problem into real domain so y will be obviously zero, so in the real domain may be this problem does not have solution.

Of course the problem has become very interesting as a, b and ϕ cannot be independent one can try to express ϕ in terms of a and b and then find the domain of ϕ over which the given equality holds good.

Sir, as you have not got the solution I will also solve it completely by method and find some more clarity or conclusion.

It doesn't...
x+yi = a/(b+cis(m)) | R= b+cos(m) ,I = isin(m)
x+yi = a(R-I)/((R+I)(R-I))
= aR/((R+I)(R-I)) - aI/((R+I)(R-I))
x2 + y2 = a2(R2 + I2)/((R+I)(R-I))2
(R-I)2 = R2+I2

x2 + y2 = a2/(R+I)2 = (x+yi)^2

ax = a2R/((R+I)(R-I))
a2 = (x2 + y2 )((R+I)2)

2bax = 2bR(x2 + y2 )((R+I)2)/((R+I)(R-I))
∴ prove
(b2-1)(x2+y2 ) + (x2 + y2 )((R+I)2) = 2bR(x2 + y2 )((R+I)2)/((R+I)(R-I))

(b2-1)+ ((R+I)2) = 2b(R(R+I)2)/((R+I)(R-I))

((b2-1)+ ((R+I)2))(R-I) = 2bR(R+I)

RHS
Sub R and I in terms of non R AND I terms
2b3+2bcos2(m) +4bcos2(m) + (2b2sin(m)+2bsin(m)cos(m))i

LHS
becomes
(-b+2b3+bcos(2m)+2bcos2 (m) +2bsin2 (m) +4b2 cos(2m) )+ (2sin(m)+bsin(2m))I
relate them both

(2b2sin(m)+2bsin(m)cos(m))i = (2sin(m)+bsin(2m))i
2b2sin(m)+2bsin(m)cos(m)= 2bsin(m)cos(m)+2sin(m)
2b2sin(m) = 2sin(m)
this only works if m = 0 or π
Which would suit the solution
hence no.

Somali_Physicist said:
x2 + y2 = a2/(R+I)2 = (x+yi)^2
This step is absolutely incorrect x^2 + y^2 cannot be equal to (x+iy)^2 unless y = 0

Let'sthink said:
This step is absolutely incorrect x^2 + y^2 cannot be equal to (x+iy)^2 unless y = 0
In this case it does, show me where my math was specifically wrong.
also
x^2 +y^2 = x^2-y^2+2xiy
2y^2=2xiy
y=xi or x = 0

Somali_Physicist said:
x2 + y2 = a2(R2 + I2)/((R+I)(R-I))2
mistake is in this step applying the formula (a+b)(a-b), where a and b can be complex also as the way you have defined I,I is complex, should be written as
R^2 - I^2 and not as R^2 + I^2. The way you have defined them R^2 >0 and I^2 <0

Dick said:
Ok, I don't get this. You seem to have eliminated ##\phi## to get a relation between the real numbers ##x##, ##y##, ##a## and ##b##. But you can get a stronger conclusion if the given relation is true for any ##\phi##. Putting ##\phi =0## and ##\phi = \pi## gives you ##x+iy=\frac{a}{b+1}=\frac{a}{b-1}## leading to the conclusion ##a=x=y=0## and ##b## can be anything. Which means your derived relation works, but kind of vacuously. I think what you probably mean is that ##x## and ##y## are functions of ##\phi##. In which case it's probably better to write them as ##x(\phi)## and ##y(\phi)##.
sorry just a small error, kindly note that
##cos^2 Φ + sin^2Φ = 1##
that is how i eliminated Φ.

i will post modulus method apart from use of complex conjugate and other method demonstrated on my thread on thursday...i now have 3 ways of solving the problem

Let'sthink said:
My second objection is by putting x = 0 and x = π, you are converting the problem into real domain so y will be obviously zero, so in the real domain may be this problem does not have solution.
I made an error here it should be φ = 0 and φ = π

Let'sthink said:
mistake is in this step applying the formula (a+b)(a-b), where a and b can be complex also as the way you have defined I,I is complex, should be written as
R^2 - I^2 and not as R^2 + I^2. The way you have defined them R^2 >0 and I^2 <0
y = -asin(x)/(R+I)(R-I)
square it...
y^2=a^2sin^2(x)/(R+I)^2(R-I)^2
= -a^2I^2/(R+I)^2(R-I)^2

oh didn't see that makes sense now!
will post the solution now :P

Let'sthink said:
(x² +y²) (b² +1 +2bcosφ) = a² ---------------------- (3), we need to eliminate cosφ and bring in x
For that
Writing original expression
(x+iy) = [a/(b+cosφ+i sinφ)] ----------------------(4) Taking complex conjugate
(x-iy) = [a/(b+cosφ-i sinφ)] -----------------------(5); adding (4) and (5) we get
[2a(b+cosφ)/(b² +1 +2bcosφ)] = 2x --------------(6) multiplying (3) and (6) we get
[2a(b+cosφ)(x² +y²)] = 2xa² or
[2(b+cosφ)(x² +y²)] = 2xa ------ (7)
Rewrite (3) and (7) as
(b² +1 +2bcosφ) = a² /((x² +y²) ----------- (3') and rewritten (7) becomes, [2(b+cosφ)(x² +y²)] = 2xa ------ (7) or (b+cosφ) = xa/(x² +y²), multiplying by 2b gives
2b²+2bcos φ = 2bxa/(x² +y²), ------ (7'). Now (7') - (3') gives
(b² -1)(x² +y²) = 2abx - a² or
2abx = (b² -1)(x² +y²) + a²
Although I will not like to call them different methods but using complex conjugate property gives us the shortest, neatest, simplest and the sweetest derivation.

Likes chwala
x+yi = a/(b+cis(m)) | R= b+cos(m) ,I = isin(m)
x+yi = a(R-I)/((R+I)(R-I))
= aR/((R+I)(R-I)) - aI/((R+I)(R-I))
x2+ y2 = a2(R2- I2)/((R+I)(R-I))2
a2=(x2+ y2)(R2- I2)
x= aR/(R2-I2)
2bax = 2ba2R/(R2-I2)
=2bR(x^2+y^2)
if
(b2-1)(x2+y2)+a2=2bR(x2+ y2)
(b2-1)(x2+y2)+(x2+ y2)(R2- I2)=2bR(x2+ y2)
b2-1+R2- I2=2bR
sub R and I
b2-1+cos2(m)+sin2(m)+b2+2bcos(m) = 2b2+2bcos(m)
2b2+2bcos(m) +1 - 1 = 2b2+2bcos(m)

Hence Q.E.D

Somali_Physicist said:
y = -asin(x)/(R+I)(R-I)
square it...
y^2=a^2sin^2(x)/(R+I)^2(R-I)^2
= -a^2I^2/(R+I)^2(R-I)^2

oh didn't see that makes sense now!
will post the solution now :P

NO, do not post the solution. That is not allowed under PF rules! If YOU had posed the problem it would be OK for you to post the solution, but not if somebody else posted the problem. (It is also OK to post and alternative solution if the OP has already posted a valid solution.)

Ray Vickson said:
NO, do not post the solution. That is not allowed under PF rules! If YOU had posed the problem it would be OK for you to post the solution, but not if somebody else posted the problem. (It is also OK to post and alternative solution if the OP has already posted a valid solution.)
I don't think there's a problem here. The OP posted a solution many posts back.

Likes chwala and Somali_Physicist
Mark44 said:
I don't think there's a problem here. The OP posted a solution many posts back.

I did allow for that possibility in the last sentence. I have not tried to follow all the interweaving of this convoluted thread.

Likes Somali_Physicist