What does the radial wave function represent?

In summary, the radial wave function represents the probability of an electron being at a certain distance from the nucleus. It goes below zero at the center, and this is related to the different phases of different parts of the orbital.
Zatman
I am (attempting to) learn the *basics* of quantum physics in terms of the origin of atomic orbitals from the Schrodinger equation. I understand that the solution for H is split into a product of 2 functions, the radial wave function and the angular wave function.

Then I am being shown plots of the radial wave function for various orbitals. And what seems to be missing, (or perhaps something obvious that I am missing), is what it actually is representing.

I am also aware of the radial distribution function which makes a little more sense to me (probability of an electron being at a distance r from the nucleus).

But I can't seem to see what the radial wave function represents. Any help would be appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi Zatman! :smile:
Zatman said:
… the solution for H is split into a product of 2 functions, the radial wave function and the angular wave function.

Yes, the angular function tells you the general shape of the probability distribution, and the radial function modifies that shape (for different values of the radial quantum number) by telling you how much it depends on distance from the centre.

All you really need to know about the radial function is whether it's zero or non-zero at the centre. :wink:

So what is represented by the vertical axis? And what does it mean for the radial wave function to go below zero?

what vertical axis? :confused:

(i'm not sure we're talking about the same thing …

can you link to a diagram that illustrates what you're referring to?)​

Zatman said:
And what does it mean for the radial wave function to go below zero?

you mean, as in the graphs in the upper box?

i've never seen those graphs before, I've always seen the bumpy graphs in the lower box, showing the probability, which i think is all you need to know :smile:

the upper box shows the amplitude (which of course you still have to multiply by the angular wave function), and amplitudes don't usually have any physical significance (and generally, they're complex, so a negative amplitude is nothing out of the ordinary)

Yes they are what I'm referring to.

(I agree that the radial distribution functions are more important, but I do need to know about radial wave functions too according to my syllabus).

That does make a little more sense, thank you. Just one more thing -- when the amplitude goes negative, is this related to the different phases of different parts of the orbital (it more than likely is, so... how? :))

Zatman said:
… when the amplitude goes negative, is this related to the different phases of different parts of the orbital (it more than likely is, so... how? :))

i don't think it's related to anything

if we were talking about the angular wave function, the complexity (or negativity) of the amplitude at each point wouldn't bother you, would it? :wink:

It... wouldn't, no. But are you saying then that it is a coincidence that the number of times the radial wave function goes below zero is exactly correct for the number of changes of phase for each orbital?

i'm saying that only the probability matters

(that's for an eigenstate, of course … for a combination of eigenstates, the probability comes from sum of the amplitudes, so i suppose a negative amplitude could cause destructive interference)

Okay, I guess I'll just accept this.

Thanks for your help tiny-tim, much appreciated!

1. What is the radial wave function?

The radial wave function, denoted by R(r), is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding an electron at a given distance from the nucleus in an atom. It is part of the wave function that describes the behavior of an electron in an atom.

2. What does the radial wave function represent?

The radial wave function represents the spatial distribution of the electron's probability density in an atom. In other words, it shows the likelihood of finding the electron at different distances from the nucleus.

3. How is the radial wave function related to the energy of an electron?

The radial wave function is one of the components of the wave function, which is used to calculate the total energy of an electron in an atom. The energy of an electron is directly proportional to the square of the radial wave function.

4. What does the shape of the radial wave function tell us?

The shape of the radial wave function tells us about the probability of finding an electron at a particular distance from the nucleus. A higher value of the wave function at a certain distance indicates a higher probability of finding the electron at that distance.

5. How does the principal quantum number affect the radial wave function?

The principal quantum number, represented by n, determines the size and energy of an electron's orbital. As the value of n increases, the size of the orbital increases and the radial wave function extends further from the nucleus, indicating a higher probability of finding the electron at greater distances.