Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does the YouTube HTML5 page do?

Tags:
  1. Sep 10, 2016 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What does the YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/html5 do for people?

Is it just information?

Does it configure something on YouTube itself that recognizes a given computer or browser and causes YouTube to uses html5 playback when that computer or browser visits YouTube? (If so, does this work if a person doesn't log-on to a YouTube account ?)

Does the page alter something on the users machine or browser so that the machine or browser uses html5 playback when it accesses YouTube?

That page on YouTube is often suggested to people who are having problems viewing YouTube videos with various browsers. But I have yet to see an explanation of what that page does - if anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

With the problems that adobe flash has had, the HTML5 standard has been pushed as a means for a more common user experience across all browsers. In order to prevent illegal downloads of content, web sites go to great extent to protect their video content causing problems depending on the browser used. HTML5 is supposed to address those issues in cleaner and more standard way.

One such notable example, is the lack of support for adobe flash in iOS devices. Steve Jobs refused to support it citing its many vulnerabilities and instead pushed for HTML5.

Here are some of the features of HTLM5:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

4. Sep 11, 2016 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Ok, but my question isn't "What is HTML5 ?". My question is what does that particular page on YouTube do?

5. Sep 11, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I just looked at the page you linked to. Apparently it checks whatever browser you're using and informs you of the HTML5 features that your browser supports. I'm using IE 11. According to the page in the link, my browser supports HTMLVideoElement and H.264 video codec, but doesn't support the other features listed on that page.

6. Sep 11, 2016 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

When I look at that page, it has a button that toggles between "Request the HTML5 player" and "Use the default player". What does using that button do ?

7. Sep 11, 2016 #6
    What browser are you using?

8. Sep 11, 2016 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Right now, Firefox. I also see that button when I use Midori. Perhaps, I should call it a "rectangle" instead of a button. It functions like a toggle button. It's just above the text "Supported Browsers".

9. Sep 11, 2016 #8
    Hmm I'm using the latest FF and I don't see any button, just the list of "What does this browser support?". Can you take a screenshot?

10. Sep 11, 2016 #9

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I'll try - but that will be entering new territory for me !

11. Sep 11, 2016 #10

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

This is the part of the page where the blue rectangle is shown:

Attached Files:

12. Sep 11, 2016 #11
    Are you using the latest version of FF?

13. Sep 11, 2016 #12

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

No.

I see the blue rectangle on this computer with Firefox 38.0.1. I just looked at the page using another computer with Firefox 48.0.1 and I don't see the blue rectangle.

14. Sep 11, 2016 #13

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you opt for using the HTML5 player, YouTube videos will be served up using HTML5 instead of Flash when possible. You can always return to the page an opt out later.

I'm pretty sure the setting is browser-specific. In the past, I never logged into YouTube, and opting in still worked. The setting is probably just saved to a browser cookie.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted