What does this equation mean to you?

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
Person 1: "Can you tell me about your experience working as a chef?"Person 2: "Sure, I have been working as a chef for over 10 years now. I have worked in various restaurants and have also traveled to different countries to learn about different cuisines."In summary, person 2 has over 10 years of experience as a chef and has worked in different restaurants and traveled to different countries to gain knowledge about various cuisines.
Willowz
Hi first time on this forum. Ok I was bored and found a way to calculate numbers to the power of 2:

a b c d e f [tex]\infty[/tex]
1 2 3 4 5 6 [tex]\infty[/tex]

b-1=a c-2=a d-3=a e-4=a f-5=a g-6=a

[tex]b^{2}=a^{2}+a+b \vee b^{2}=a^{2}+2a+1[/tex]
[tex]c^{2}=a^{2}+2(2a+2) \vee c^{2}=a^{2}+4b[/tex]
Same for the rest d,e,f,g,...[tex]\infty[/tex]

What am I getting at? Well I'm at my second year at high scool , and well I still don't have the "software" :-) to find any other mening of this. I don't really know what I made up exept counting powers in my head using what's above.

Thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Willowz said:
Hi first time on this forum. Ok I was bored and found a way to calculate numbers to the power of 2

I don't understand your method. How would it find 2^8, for example?

CRGreathouse said:
I don't understand your method. How would it find 2^8, for example?

What I meant is that you can raise any number with this equation but only to the power of ^2

Willowz said:
Hi first time on this forum. Ok I was bored and found a way to calculate numbers to the power of 2:

a b c d e f [tex]\infty[/tex]
1 2 3 4 5 6 [tex]\infty[/tex]

b-1=a c-2=a d-3=a e-4=a f-5=a g-6=a

[tex]b^{2}=a^{2}+a+b \vee b^{2}=a^{2}+2a+1[/tex]

[tex]c^{2}=a^{2}+2(2a+2) \vee c^{2}=a^{2}+4b[/tex]

Same for the rest d,e,f,g,...[tex]\infty[/tex]

What am I getting at? Well I'm at my second year at high scool , and well I still don't have the "software" :-) to find any other mening of this. I don't really know what I made up exept counting powers in my head using what's above.

Thanks for any input!
What you are doing is finding a relation between two numbers and their second powers (squares of the numbers), not powers of 2 which means 2 muptiplied by itself a certain number of times, 2,4,8,16,32, ... In algebra, there is a way to multiplied b^2 = (a+1)*(a+1) to get the square of b since b = a + 1. You got it right when you got the result a^2 + 2a + 1. Similaly c^2 = (a+2)*(a+2). You wrote c^2 = a^2 + 4b which is correct given your values for a,b and c. But a^2 + 4b = c^2 can Be true for whole values of a,b and c only if [tex]c = a + 2m[/tex] where m is also a whole number (or integer). Try it for different values of a and c. It is correct also if c = a+ 4 and b = 2a + 4. Try it for various values of a and c. You would be making a good start in number theory if you could show that c^2 could equal a^2 + 4b where a, b and c are each integers, if c = a + n where n = 2m (or an even number) but not if n = 2m + 1 (or an odd number).

Thanks ramsey2879 for the info, again sorry for my bad math lingo.

Willowz said:
What I meant is that you can raise any number with this equation but only to the power of ^2

Ah, I see. You can square any number. So can you show me how you would square 12 with this method?

CRGreathouse said:
Ah, I see. You can square any number. So can you show me how you would square 12 with this method?
:
a=11 b=12
b^2=121+11+12 or b^2=121+22+1
144=144 144=144

a=10 b=11 c=12
c^2=100+2(20+2) or c^2=100+4(11)
c^2=100+44 c^2=100+44
144=144 144=144

Last edited:
Willowz said:
:
a=11 b=12
b^2=121+11+12 or b^2=121+22+1
144=144 144=144

a=10 b=11 c=12
c^2=100+2(20+2) or c^2=100+4(11)
c^2=100+44 c^2=100+44
144=144 144=144
This is simple to show via algebra:

[tex]c = a + 2[/tex]
[tex]c^2 = (a+2)*(a+2)[/tex]
[tex] = a^2 + 4a + 4 = a^2 + 4(a + 1)[/tex]
[tex] = a^2 + 4b [/tex]

or if c = a + 2n then
[tex] c^2 = (a + 2n)(a+2n)[/tex]
[tex] = a^2 + 4na + 4n^2[/tex]
[tex] = a^2 + 4b \quad \| b = n(a+n) [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to What does this equation mean to you?

1. What is the purpose of the equation?

The purpose of an equation is to mathematically represent a relationship between different variables or quantities. It allows us to solve problems, make predictions, and understand the world around us in a quantitative manner.

2. How do you interpret the symbols and numbers in the equation?

The symbols and numbers in an equation represent different variables or quantities. They can have specific meanings depending on the context of the equation. For example, in the equation F = ma, F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

3. What is the significance of the equals sign in an equation?

The equals sign in an equation represents that the expressions on either side are equal. This means that the value of one expression can be substituted for the other without changing the overall value of the equation. It also indicates that the equation is balanced and follows the principles of mathematical equality.

4. How can an equation be used to solve a problem?

An equation can be used to solve a problem by plugging in known values for the variables and solving for the unknown variable. This allows us to find a specific value or relationship between different quantities. Equations can also be manipulated and rearranged to solve for different variables.

5. What are some common types of equations used in science?

Some common types of equations used in science include linear equations, which represent a straight line relationship between two variables, and quadratic equations, which have a squared term. Other types include exponential equations, which involve a variable raised to a power, and differential equations, which involve rates of change over time.