Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this mean?

1. Oct 24, 2010 #1
    Two things:

1) If we say that the space of all 2 by 2 matrices is identified with R^4, what does that mean?

2) Suppose f is a function from GL(n, R) to GL(n, R) (the space of all real n by n invertible matrices) identified with [tex] \mathbb{R}^{n^2} [/tex] I am asked to prove that [tex] df_{A_0} (X) = -X [/tex] where [tex] A_0 [/tex] is the identity matrix. My question is, [tex] df_{A_0} [/tex] would usually denote that derivative of f at the point [tex] A_0 [/tex], so where does that (X) part come into play?

I know that I should be asking my prof this, but I wanna do these homework questions before my next class (Wednesday), so it would be great if you guys could help me out.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the first question: a (real) 2 by 2 marix is specified by four numbers, which defines a point in R^4.

Second question: I am not familiar with the notation.

4. Oct 24, 2010 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the second question: The derivative of a function is a linear function. In this case the question is asking you to prove that the linear function that the derivative is is the function df(X)=-X

5. Oct 25, 2010 #4
    OfficerShredder, I was thinking that. But usually my prof would use the notation [tex] df_{A_0} [/tex] to denote the derivative of f at [tex] A_0 [/tex]. Why add in the extra [tex] (X) [/tex] ?

And mathman, do I read off the entries of the matrix row by row or column by column

6. Oct 25, 2010 #5
    In case it helps, OfficerShredder, f is defined by [tex] f(A) = A^{-1} [/tex] if [tex] A \in GL(n,r) [/tex]

7. Oct 25, 2010 #6

Landau

Science Advisor

That's up to you. You can identify the space of nxm-matrices with R^{mn} in a lot (namely (nm)!) of ways, there's not really a preferred way.

8. Oct 25, 2010 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For the same reason that to talk about the "squaring function" we say [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] rather than just "[itex]f= ( )^2[/itex]". A function is defined by what it does to values of x.

9. Oct 25, 2010 #8
    I'm still not getting it. In my prof's usual notation [tex] df_{A_0} [/tex] would mean the derivative of f at [tex] A_0 [/tex]. If you write it using the prime notation, [tex] df_{A_0} = f'(A_0) [/tex]. I still don't see why you would need the matrix [tex] X [/tex] when we're evaluating the derivative function at the point [tex] A_0 [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  10. Oct 25, 2010 #9
    lol nevermind guys. I totally forgot that my proof uses that notation to mean the directional derivative of f at the point X with respect to A_0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook