What effects does a conductor have on a circuit. How can they be minimised?

Homework Statement

What effects occur on a conductor within a circuit, for example copper wires - what can effect them and what can be done to control the effect?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no real understanding of electrics but one attempt is:

Heat, a conductor creates heat when the resistance is high and this can expand the copper --- but i don't even know what exactly would happen other than the circuit would overheat?? and to minimise this you'd control the temperatures within the environment of the circuit??

Thats one effect i believe theres bound to be others? please list as many as you can, i want a better understanding of this, i can't get my head around it - im not an electrician which doesn't help lol

Thanks for any advice and help.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

fss
That's not a very well-worded question. Lots of things can affect conductors in a circuit- what they're made out of, how old they are, what kind of environment they're in, how well they've been handled....

That's not a very well-worded question. Lots of things can affect conductors in a circuit- what they're made out of, how old they are, what kind of environment they're in, how well they've been handled....
Thats exactly what im looking for - its not aimed precisley at anything, just an all round observation if that makes sense.

So for example, how old they are - so if they're fairly old, what effect would this have on a circuit? would the current be unreliable or will it cause electrical fires or what?

Another from what you've said - The type of environment they're in - how can this effect a circuit?

Honestly this is the stuff i wanna know - it can be one of the above, so long as i understand how this effects the circuit and how it can be controlled. It doesn't have to be every effect possibly known, just a few examples to help me.

thanks.