1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly does negative permittivity mean?

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    Hi, this is my first time posting on these forums but I've been reading them for a while.

I was having a look at metamaterials and it mentioned that metamaterials had negative permittivity and negative permeability. I also found that metals naturally had negative permittivity; though I am still unsure whether this is always the case or just at certain frequencies.

I'd also like to ask why this occurs and what it means exactly; by being negative, is the field refracted in the opposite direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2
    Good question, may I join to you, I wonder too what is the answer :smile:

4. Apr 22, 2014 #3
    i am wondering too. following the equation C=dQ/dV, is the charge repelled or the field? what is the phenomena happened in most metals?
    Some may response with the collision frequency, i guess. help, please?

5. Apr 22, 2014 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Negative pemittivity means that the electric displacement vector D and electric field are180 degrees out of phase, i.e. antiparallel.
    This occurs in some region above a resonance. In a metal, the resonance frequency is formally zero and the region of negative permittivity extends up to the so-called plasma frequency.
    You can get an easy picture of what is going on if you model the electric polarization P (~D) as a collection of harmonic oscillators of frequency ##\omega_0## which are driven via a coupling to the electric field ##\sim E_0 \sin(\omega t)##, i.e.
    ##1/2m \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}+\gamma \frac{dx}{dt} +k/2 x^2 =e E_0 \sin(\omega t)##
    here,x is the coordinate, m is the mass, e the charge of an electron, and k the spring constant, ##\gamma## the damping.
    You can solve this equation analytically and obtain x(t) as a function of frequency.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  6. Apr 22, 2014 #5

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Apr 22, 2014 #6
    Thanks DrDu. So what happen at even lower frequency region in the metal that cause an increase in negative permittivity followed by a decrease in negative permittivity e.g. well-shaped pattern of e' as a function of frequency? i guess i'd figured out the decrease in negative permittivity as the frequency approaching the plasma frequency. just that I don't understand why is it having an increase negative permittivity at lower frequency.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. Apr 22, 2014 #7
  9. Apr 22, 2014 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

10. Jun 9, 2014 #9
    Thank you DrDu.

I was wondering where can we find reported data with negative capacitance as a function of frequency for conductors. It is quite hard to get a data comparison for common metals.
    Does anyone got any idea?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook