What exactly is the Ultraviolet Catastrophe?

• Thread starter JoshBuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ultraviolet
In summary, the "quantized" theory accounts for physical phenomena such as energy emission and absorption in terms of photons, which have a finite energy.
JoshBuntu
I tried looking it up, but I just don't get it. Something about intensity going to infinite(?)

What exactly was the original theory and how does the "quantized" theory account for stuff?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question :/

Science news on Phys.org
the intensity is decreasing for higher frequency. see this explanation

Last edited by a moderator:
Naty1 said:
The problem was that classical theory gave an infinite (silly) answer for black body radiation...quantum theory via Planck solved the riddle...

This is a good explanation...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_catastrophe

That bit involving lengths of string is a bit fanciful. How ever is it supposed to show the difference in powers? The rms power is the same for all frequencies of waves of similar shape and same amplitude. What has the length of a piece of string got to do with it? How does the string relate to photons?

sophiecentaur said:
That bit involving lengths of string is a bit fanciful. How ever is it supposed to show the difference in powers? The rms power is the same for all frequencies of waves of similar shape and same amplitude. What has the length of a piece of string got to do with it? How does the string relate to photons?

Are you talking about the wiki link? I don't see such contradictions in the very brief mention of harmonics on a string. They just used it as a brief analogy to help show that the density of states for a classical harmonic oscillator increases with the frequency.

Born2bwire said:
Are you talking about the wiki link? I don't see such contradictions in the very brief mention of harmonics on a string. They just used it as a brief analogy to help show that the density of states for a classical harmonic oscillator increases with the frequency.

Wow - I'm sorry. I was referring to (complaining about) the UTube clip in the other post. I just quoted the wrong post - durr.
In the UTube movie, they were showing a progressive wave with the string (referring to light ) and relating the length of the string that they unwound off some pins to the energy of the wave. That passage made no sense to me as the string was no more than a graph of displacement (possibly?) with distance. How does that relate to energy? It was so bad that I really couldn't go along with any more of it.
The Wiki link was fine btw.

Last edited:
In classical theory energy can be shared amongst waves of all frequencies. If a box contains electromagnetic waves there will be more waves in a range of frequencies at the high frequency end than at the lower frequency end and this suggests that more of the energy will be at the high frequency end (ultra violet is high frequency waves).
Plancks theory states that energy can only be emitted or absorbed in packets called photons. The energy of a photon is proportional to the frequency. ALSO the probability of getting a high energy photon (compared to the average energy) is lower. Just like the probability of finding a very high energy molecule in a gas at a certain temperature (average energy). This accounts for the shape of the black body spectrum just like the Boltzmann distribution accounts for speed distribution of molecules.

sophiecentaur said:
Wow - I'm sorry. I was referring to (complaining about) the UTube clip in the other post. I just quoted the wrong post - durr.
In the UTube movie, they were showing a progressive wave with the string (referring to light ) and relating the length of the string that they unwound off some pins to the energy of the wave. That passage made no sense to me as the string was no more than a graph of displacement (possibly?) with distance. How does that relate to energy? It was so bad that I really couldn't go along with any more of it.
The Wiki link was fine btw.

Yeah, that was my guess but I wasn't willing to sit through an 8 minute video to find out.

Zero out of ten for production values and not much more for content, I think!

What is the Ultraviolet Catastrophe?

The Ultraviolet Catastrophe is a phenomenon in physics where the classical theory of blackbody radiation predicts that the intensity of radiation emitted by a blackbody should increase infinitely as the frequency of the radiation increases. This is known as the "ultraviolet catastrophe" because it would result in an infinite amount of energy being emitted, which is physically impossible.

Who discovered the Ultraviolet Catastrophe?

The Ultraviolet Catastrophe was first observed by German physicist Max Planck in the early 1900s. Planck was studying the properties of blackbody radiation and found that the classical theory was unable to accurately predict the observed intensities at high frequencies.

What is the significance of the Ultraviolet Catastrophe?

The Ultraviolet Catastrophe was a major problem for classical physics and led to the development of quantum mechanics. It showed that classical theories were unable to fully explain certain phenomena and led to the understanding that energy is quantized, rather than continuous.

How does the Ultraviolet Catastrophe relate to the photoelectric effect?

The Ultraviolet Catastrophe was one of the key pieces of evidence that led to the development of the quantum theory of light, which explains the photoelectric effect. This effect is the emission of electrons from a metal surface when it is exposed to light, and it cannot be explained by classical theories.

Is the Ultraviolet Catastrophe still relevant today?

While the Ultraviolet Catastrophe was solved by the development of quantum mechanics, it is still a significant concept in physics and is often used as an example of a problem that classical theories were unable to explain. It also serves as a reminder of the limitations of our current understanding and the need for continued research and development in the field of physics.