What type of transfer function is represented by this plot?

• Thread starter guest1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a group discusses the function on a plot and one person provides the answer of 1-e^{-x}. They also mention that the plot is for a thermally averaged cross section and someone else suggests that it looks like a 2nd order high-pass filter transfer function. They question the labeling on the vertical axis which seems to be off by a factor of 100.
guest1234
Hey all

What's could the function be on the plot (see the attachment)?

plot.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
guest1234 said:
Hey all

What's could the function be on the plot (see the attachment)?

View attachment 82060

I know! I know! Pick me! :smile:

Where did you get it, and what do you think it is?

For some reason your response led me to think that the answer is obvious... :biggrin: So I plotted [itex]1-e^{-x}[/itex] and it turns out that it's the answer I'm looking for. Never seen an (inverse or whatever it's called) exponential decay plot in log-log scale before ..
As for the irrelevant 'where did you get it' -- it's thermally averaged cross section.

guest1234 said:
For some reason your response led me to think that the answer is obvious... :biggrin: So I plotted [itex]1-e^{-x}[/itex] and it turns out that it's the answer I'm looking for. Never seen an (inverse or whatever it's called) exponential decay plot in log-log scale before ..
As for the irrelevant 'where did you get it' -- it's thermally averaged cross section.

Glad I could help :smile:

To me it looks like a 2nd order high-pass filter transfer function. The vertical axis does look strange, though. How come each set of 10 logarithmic lines on the vertical axis is x100 instead of x10? Is that on purpose? What would the labels for each of the 10 minor gridlines be on the vertical axis...?

1. What is the purpose or role of this function?

The purpose of a function is to perform a specific task or calculation. It can be used to organize code and make it more readable, as well as to reduce the amount of code needed to perform a certain task.

2. How do I determine what a function is doing?

To understand what a function is doing, you can look at its name and parameters. The name should give you an idea of what the function is meant to do, and the parameters are the input values that affect the output of the function.

3. What is the difference between a built-in function and a user-defined function?

A built-in function is one that is already provided by the programming language you are using. It typically has a specific purpose and can be used without having to define it yourself. A user-defined function is created by the user to perform a specific task or calculation that is not already built into the programming language.

4. How do I know which function to use for a specific task?

The best way to determine which function to use for a specific task is to consult the documentation or do some research. You can also experiment with different functions to see which one gives you the desired result.

5. Can I modify a function to suit my needs?

Yes, you can modify a function to suit your needs by changing the parameters or the code inside the function. This is one of the benefits of using functions, as they can be customized to fit different scenarios.