What happens if we heat up the plasma enough?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different states of matter and how they transform through heat. It mentions the process of solid turning into liquid, liquid into gas, and gas into plasma. The speaker also asks if there is anything beyond plasma, to which the other person explains the concept of a quark-gluon plasma. This is a state where the quarks in the nuclei are separated due to extreme heat, but it's impossible to fully separate them. The conversation also references a Fermilab video that further explains this concept.
Prof.gaming
I was wondering , because all I know is that we got solid . Heat it up enough and you get liquid . Heat that up enough too and boom ! There's gas . Plasma is another transformation in this category , in this case , about heating up the gas enough . And I wanted to know , if there is anything after that ? Or do we even know if there is or not ?

Science news on Phys.org
Plasma is made up of the parts of atoms - protons, neutrons, and/or electrons - that have been dissociated from each other. If you keep increasing the temperature, eventually you will get a quark-gluon plasma, where the quarks in the nuclei would be separated, except that it's impossible to separate quarks from the nucleus? If you put enough force trying to separate them, I am not sure but I think it makes more quarks, some of which annihilate each other? Anyway, I can't think of anything hotter than a quark-gluon plasma.

Last edited:
Actually, this Fermilab video is pretty good:

1. What is plasma and how does it react to heat?

Plasma is a state of matter that consists of gas particles that have been heated to extremely high temperatures, causing them to lose their electrons. This results in a mixture of positively charged ions and negatively charged electrons. When heated, plasma becomes even more energetic and its particles move faster and collide more frequently.

2. How does heating up plasma affect its properties?

As plasma is heated, its properties change significantly. It becomes more electrically conductive, meaning that it can carry electric current more easily. It also becomes more reactive, meaning that it can interact more strongly with other particles or fields. Furthermore, heating plasma can cause it to expand and become less dense.

3. Can plasma be heated to any temperature?

No, there are limitations to how hot plasma can be heated. As the temperature increases, the particles in plasma become more energetic and can collide with such force that they break apart. This is known as the "ionization limit," and it varies depending on the type of plasma.

4. What happens if we heat up the plasma enough to reach the ionization limit?

If plasma is heated to the ionization limit, it will become fully ionized, meaning that all of its electrons are stripped away from the nuclei of the atoms. This results in a highly energetic state of matter that is often referred to as a "plasma soup." At this point, the plasma would be extremely hot and unstable.

5. What practical applications are there for heating up plasma?

There are several practical applications for heated plasma, such as in fusion reactors, where high temperatures are needed to initiate and sustain nuclear fusion reactions. Plasma is also used in plasma cutting, which is a process that uses a high-temperature plasma arc to melt and cut through metal. Additionally, plasma is used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of semiconductors and the treatment of waste gases.