What happens to Newton's 2nd law if there is a changing mass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mitcho
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
I understand that force is equal to the time derivative of momentum, or d(mv)/dt. Then what happens if the velocity is constant and only the mass is changing. Does this mean there will be a force. If so, in what direction since I am assuming it is still a vector. Also, what if the mass and velocity are changing, does this make some kind of "2nd order" force?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So what you have now is [tex]\frac{d}{dt}(m(t)v(t))[/tex]. This is simply a product rule, nothing beyond that. You'll simply have a more complicated problem.

For example, if you had a simple harmonic oscillator, your 2nd law would become:

[tex]\frac{d}{{dt}}(m(t)\dot x(t)) = - kx(t)[/tex]

which upon doing the differentiation simply gives

[tex]\dot m(t)\dot x(t) + m(t)\ddot x(t) = - kx(t)[/tex]

Of course, you'll need information on the functional relationship of m with respect to t to solve this. I haven't given this much thought but that does not look like an easy problem
 
I don't understand how you can have a change in mass. Newton didn't anticipate mass annihilation, so I'm not sure what becomes of the law.
 
Curl said:
I don't understand how you can have a change in mass. Newton didn't anticipate mass annihilation, so I'm not sure what becomes of the law.
You can have a system in which you just ignore a part of the mass.For example you ignore the fuel that was ejected in a rocket if you are interested only in the motion the rocket. F=dp/dt so both mass and velocity can vary.This does not mean that mass is annihilated only that you can sometimes ignore some of it.