What Happens When Photon Strikes an Electron?

• Thread starter SOP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, when a photon strikes an electron and all of its energy is absorbed, the photon ceases to exist. This can happen if the source of the photon is highly energetic, in which case the photon will scatter off with lower energy. If the photon has low frequency and all of its energy is absorbed, the photon will either be absorbed by the electron or continue to exist with zero energy. However, according to Einstein's Photoelectric Equation, when a photon loses all of its energy to the electron, it ceases to exist. This means that if something loses all of its energy and cannot interact with anything else, it can be said that it no longer exists.
SOP
I know this might be very basic, but I'm really curios what will actually happen to photon if it strikes an electron and all its energy being absorbed by this electron, Does the photon cease to exist ?

I know that if the source of the photon is highly energetic, then it will give some of its energy to the electron and the photon will scatter off with lower energy. Well, you may correct if I'm wrong in this part.

If we suppose that the photon has a low frequency which means to say lower energy, and actually all of its energy being absorbed by the electron. Is it that the electron actually absorbed the photon itself, or the photon would continue to exist with Zero energy ?

Just someone may explain to me or even correct if I'm wrong on what I said.

Physics news on Phys.org
The photon ceases to exist.

The photon loses all of its energy to the photoelectron at once. Einstein's Photoelectric Equation shows that Energy of photon = Work function + Maximum Kinetic Energy of the electron. Hope it helped!

If something loses all of its energy and cannot interact with anything else, then its equally correct to say that it doesn't exist anymore. So either way, it doesn't exist. =)

Related to What Happens When Photon Strikes an Electron?

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries electromagnetic energy and has no mass.

2. What happens when a photon strikes an electron?

When a photon strikes an electron, it can either be absorbed or scattered. If the photon has enough energy, it can cause the electron to jump to a higher energy state, or even knock it out of the atom completely.

3. How does the energy of a photon affect the electron?

The energy of a photon is directly related to the frequency and wavelength of light. When a photon strikes an electron, the energy of the photon can be transferred to the electron, causing it to gain energy and potentially change its state or behavior.

4. Can a photon strike an electron more than once?

Yes, a photon can strike an electron multiple times. In fact, this is how most forms of light interact with matter, with billions of photons striking electrons in a continuous stream.

5. What is the significance of studying the interaction between photons and electrons?

Understanding the interaction between photons and electrons is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics, optics, and electronics. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as solar cells, lasers, and digital cameras.