What If I Were Able to Remove All Matter From the Universe?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of removing matter and its impact on the universe. The person claiming to be able to make matter disappear is questioned about what is left and whether space-time still exists. The topic of magic is brought up, with the response that science has nothing to contribute to the discussion. The point is debated, with one person claiming that the universe does have matter and acceptable theories describe its behavior. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the question becomes irrelevant when physics is not applicable.
Strong Eagle
All of it. I make it magically disappear... I'm god, I guess.

When I remove all the matter, is there anything left? Is the nothing used to be occupied by all that matter "something"? Is the space-time sans matter, still space-time?

Space news on Phys.org
I'm afraid science has nothing to say about magic.

Likes fresh_42 and 1oldman2
I believe you miss the point.

So what is the point then?
The Universe does have matter. and acceptable theories describe how it behaves.

Last edited:
Strong Eagle said:
I believe you miss the point.
I believe you miss V50's point. You cannot just make the matter disappear, it would violatewhat we know about how the world behaves and the description we have of it. You then want to know what physics has to say about this situation, which is asking what physics says about a situation where it is not applicable.

Since the premise of the question makes physics moot, I am closing this thread.

1. What would happen if all matter in the universe suddenly disappeared?

If all matter in the universe suddenly disappeared, there would be no physical objects, including planets, stars, and even atoms. This would result in a complete void, leaving only dark energy and radiation behind.

2. Would time and space still exist without matter?

Without matter, the concept of time and space as we know it would no longer exist. Time and space are relative to the existence of matter, so without matter, there would be no way to measure or perceive them.

3. Could life still exist without matter?

It is highly unlikely that any form of life could exist without matter. Life, as we know it, is based on the interactions of atoms and molecules. Without matter, there would be no building blocks for life to exist.

4. Would the laws of physics still apply if all matter disappeared?

The laws of physics are based on the interactions and properties of matter, so if all matter disappeared, the laws of physics would no longer be applicable. This would result in a complete breakdown of our understanding of the universe.

5. Is it possible for all matter in the universe to disappear?

In theory, it is possible for all matter in the universe to disappear, but it would require a catastrophic event or a highly advanced technology that we currently do not possess. It is also important to note that the disappearance of all matter would have severe consequences and would likely result in the end of the universe as we know it.