1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What integration technique to use?

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What technique should I use to evaluate

[tex] \int_0^1 dx \frac{x^{m-1}}{\ln x} [/tex]

where m is a positive integer

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2007 #2
    [tex]x^{m-1}=x^{m}\times x^{-1}[/tex]
  4. Dec 24, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Don't go around trying to find the anti-derivative of that in elementary functions, the indefinite integral evaluates to [tex]Ei (m \ln x) + C, \frac{d}{dx}C = 0[/tex] where Ei(x) is the exponential integral. This result follows because after the substitution u= ln x, the original integral becomes [tex]\int^0_{-\infty} \frac{ (e^u)^m}{u} du[/tex].

Best you can do is to get an infinite series solution.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  5. Dec 25, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Ahh I think I've found out how to solve it, because those bounds looked quite nice =] Try Differentiation under the integral.
  6. Dec 25, 2007 #5
    Yes. That works. My original question was a mistake, however. I wanted to use parameter differentiation to find

[tex]H(m) = \int_0^1 dx \frac{x^{m}}{\ln x} [/tex]

So, I differentiated erroneously and got

[tex]H(m) = \int_0^1 dx (m-1)\frac{x^{m-1}}{\ln x} [/tex]

instead of

[tex]H(m) = \int_0^1 dx x^{m} [/tex]

By, the way, [tex]H(m) = \ln{m+1}[/tex].
  7. Dec 25, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Ah no it's not as easy as that...You have forgotten to deal with the Constant associated with the integrals..
  8. Dec 25, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well I might as well give another clue, try looking at H(-1) to evaluate the constant. If my mind was a bit clear yesterday, I could have told you that; looking at the natural logs series between 0 and 1, that integral is......
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?