What integration technique to use?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the technique for evaluating the integral of x^{m-1}/ln x, where m is a positive integer. The attempt at a solution involves using differentiation under the integral and finding an infinite series solution. However, the original question was a mistake and the correct integral to solve is x^m/ln x. A hint is given to evaluate the constant associated with the integral.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

What technique should I use to evaluate

[tex] \int_0^1 dx \frac{x^{m-1}}{\ln x} [/tex]

where m is a positive integer

?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]x^{m-1}=x^{m}\times x^{-1}[/tex]

Don't go around trying to find the anti-derivative of that in elementary functions, the indefinite integral evaluates to [tex]Ei (m \ln x) + C, \frac{d}{dx}C = 0[/tex] where Ei(x) is the exponential integral. This result follows because after the substitution u= ln x, the original integral becomes [tex]\int^0_{-\infty} \frac{ (e^u)^m}{u} du[/tex].

Best you can do is to get an infinite series solution.

Last edited:
Ahh I think I've found out how to solve it, because those bounds looked quite nice =] Try Differentiation under the integral.

Yes. That works. My original question was a mistake, however. I wanted to use parameter differentiation to find

[tex]H(m) = \int_0^1 dx \frac{x^{m}}{\ln x} [/tex]

So, I differentiated erroneously and got

[tex]H(m) = \int_0^1 dx (m-1)\frac{x^{m-1}}{\ln x} [/tex]

instead of

[tex]H(m) = \int_0^1 dx x^{m} [/tex]

By, the way, [tex]H(m) = \ln{m+1}[/tex].

Ah no it's not as easy as that...You have forgotten to deal with the Constant associated with the integrals..

Well I might as well give another clue, try looking at H(-1) to evaluate the constant. If my mind was a bit clear yesterday, I could have told you that; looking at the natural logs series between 0 and 1, that integral is...

What integration technique to use?

The decision of which integration technique to use depends on the specific problem at hand and its characteristics. There is no one-size-fits-all solution and different techniques may yield different results. Therefore, it is important to carefully assess the problem and choose the most appropriate technique accordingly.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of numerical integration techniques?

Numerical integration techniques offer a way to approximate the value of a definite integral when an analytic solution is not available. The main advantage is that they can handle a wide range of functions, including those that cannot be integrated analytically. However, the accuracy of the approximation can be affected by the choice of integration method and the number of intervals used. In addition, some techniques may be more computationally intensive than others.

How do I know if my problem requires a specific type of integration technique?

The choice of integration technique depends on the characteristics of the problem such as the type of function, the interval of integration, and the desired level of accuracy. For example, if the function is smooth and well-behaved, then standard techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule may be sufficient. However, if the function has discontinuities or sharp variations, then adaptive techniques like Gaussian quadrature or Romberg integration may be more suitable.

Can I use more than one integration technique for the same problem?

Yes, it is possible to combine multiple integration techniques to improve the accuracy of the approximation. This is known as composite integration, where the interval of integration is divided into smaller subintervals and a different integration technique is used for each subinterval. However, this approach may not always be necessary and can also increase the computational cost.

What are some common sources of error in numerical integration?

The main sources of error in numerical integration are truncation error, round-off error, and the error introduced by the choice of integration method. Truncation error occurs when the approximation formula used in the integration technique is not exact, while round-off error is caused by the limited precision of numbers in computer calculations. The error due to the choice of integration method can be reduced by using more accurate techniques or increasing the number of intervals.