Finding an integral using a series

In summary: Thanks for the references!In summary, the conversion of the given integral to a series is allowed as the series is absolutely convergent on the interval, allowing for the interchange of operations. However, to ensure the validity of the interchange, the uniform convergence on the closed interval should also be checked. Additional resources for this concept can be found in the provided links.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\arctan x}{x}dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the integral to the following; ##\displaystyle \int_0^1 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{x^{2n}}{2n+1}dx##. In this case am I allowed to swap the summation and integral signs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

##\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\arctan x}{x}dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the integral to the following; ##\displaystyle \int_0^1 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n\frac{x^{2n}}{2n+1}dx##. In this case am I allowed to swap the summation and integral signs?
Since the series is absolutely convergent on the interval in question, yes, you can exchange the operations. Here's a link to another thread that discusses this -- https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ntegral-differentiation-with-integral.564620/.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mark44 said:
Since the series is absolutely convergent on the interval in question, yes, you can exchange the operations. Here's a link to another thread that discusses this -- https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ntegral-differentiation-with-integral.564620/.

This argument does not quite work: the series is absolutely convergent on the open interval ##0 \leq x < 1## but is only conditionally convergent at ##x=1##. However, the OP can try another argument instead: he can check for uniform convergence on the closed interval, and that will be enough. See, eg.,
https://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~agk22/uniform.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
This argument does not quite work: the series is absolutely convergent on the open interval ##0 \leq x < 1## but is only conditionally convergent at ##x=1##. However, the OP can try another argument instead: he can check for uniform convergence on the closed interval, and that will be enough. See, eg.,
https://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~agk22/uniform.pdf .
I was a bit worried about that endpoint at x = 1, but didn't include my concern in what I wrote.

Related to Finding an integral using a series

1. What is an integral series?

An integral series is a mathematical method used to find the definite integral of a function by representing it as an infinite series of simpler functions. This is helpful when the original function is difficult to integrate directly.

2. How do you find an integral using a series?

To find an integral using a series, you first need to express the function as an infinite series of simpler functions. Then, you can use known methods for finding the sum of infinite series to solve for the integral.

3. What are some common types of integral series?

Some common types of integral series include Taylor series, Fourier series, and Laurent series. Each of these series has its own specific use for finding integrals of different types of functions.

4. Can any function be represented as an integral series?

No, not all functions can be represented as an integral series. The function must have certain properties and meet certain criteria in order to be expressed in this way.

5. Why is finding an integral using a series useful?

Finding an integral using a series can be useful because it allows us to solve for integrals that may be difficult or impossible to find using other methods. It also provides a way to approximate integrals for functions that cannot be integrated analytically.