Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is a convergent argument?

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    Is it any argument structure not classified as a syllogism? where premises lead to conclusions which is another premise.

It seems that the definition is that in a convergent argument all the premises are independent of each other and support the conclusion only. But how does one know?

"I think I should buy this used Toyota Corolla. It is in good shape, it gets good mileage, and besides, it is within my budget." the website here: https://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/courses/hum2020/argumentstructures1.htm says that the above statement is convergent.

How can it be modified to become non convergent?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

As far as I know, "convergent argument" is not a term that is precisely defined in mathematical logic. It sounds like terminology from the old-fashioned field of "Rhetoric".

4. Jan 27, 2017 #3
    ah ok...I would like to clarify that I am studying schaums outlines of Logic (logic in general) and it shows up in the first chapter. But not in the book Logic for dummies..so you may be right!

5. Jan 27, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like the term "convergent logic" simply refers to a combination of basic independent statements joined by "and". So it is a simple narrowing down of the options to the final conclusion. I am not familiar enough with the terminology of logic to state it more formally, but I'm sure that it can be done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted