What is a convergent argument?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a convergent argument and its definition as a series of independent premises leading to a conclusion. The use of this term is not commonly found in mathematical logic and is possibly a concept from the field of rhetoric. It is also mentioned that the website https://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/courses/hum2020/argumentstructures1.htm classifies a statement as convergent, but it is not clear how one can modify it to become non-convergent.
Logical Dog
Is it any argument structure not classified as a syllogism? where premises lead to conclusions which is another premise.

It seems that the definition is that in a convergent argument all the premises are independent of each other and support the conclusion only. But how does one know?

"I think I should buy this used Toyota Corolla. It is in good shape, it gets good mileage, and besides, it is within my budget." the website here: https://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/courses/hum2020/argumentstructures1.htm says that the above statement is convergent.

How can it be modified to become non convergent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolar Demon said:
It seems that the definition is that in a convergent argument all the premises are independent of each other and support the conclusion only. But how does one know?

As far as I know, "convergent argument" is not a term that is precisely defined in mathematical logic. It sounds like terminology from the old-fashioned field of "Rhetoric".

Likes Logical Dog
Stephen Tashi said:
As far as I know, "convergent argument" is not a term that is precisely defined in mathematical logic. It sounds like terminology from the old-fashioned field of "Rhetoric".

ah ok...I would like to clarify that I am studying schaums outlines of Logic (logic in general) and it shows up in the first chapter. But not in the book Logic for dummies..so you may be right!

It looks like the term "convergent logic" simply refers to a combination of basic independent statements joined by "and". So it is a simple narrowing down of the options to the final conclusion. I am not familiar enough with the terminology of logic to state it more formally, but I'm sure that it can be done.

Likes Logical Dog

1. What is a convergent argument?

A convergent argument is a type of reasoning in which multiple pieces of evidence or premises are used to support a single conclusion. This means that the different parts of the argument come together to form a strong and convincing case for the conclusion.

2. How does a convergent argument differ from a linear argument?

A linear argument follows a single path from the premises to the conclusion, with each premise building upon the previous one. In contrast, a convergent argument uses multiple lines of reasoning that come together to support the conclusion. This approach can be more effective in addressing complex or multifaceted issues.

3. What makes a convergent argument strong?

A strong convergent argument is one in which the various pieces of evidence or premises are logically and coherently connected, and each one adds to the overall strength of the argument. Additionally, a strong convergent argument will address potential counterarguments and provide evidence to refute them.

4. Can a convergent argument be used in any field of study?

Yes, a convergent argument can be used in any field of study as long as multiple pieces of evidence or premises can be brought together to support a conclusion. This approach is commonly used in scientific research, but it can also be applied in fields such as philosophy, law, and politics.

5. How can I improve my ability to construct a strong convergent argument?

To construct a strong convergent argument, it is important to carefully analyze and evaluate the evidence or premises being used. It is also helpful to anticipate potential counterarguments and address them in the argument. Additionally, practicing critical thinking skills and seeking feedback from others can also improve one's ability to construct a strong convergent argument.