What is a good arithmetic textbook?

In summary, the author of 'Off the top' suggests that a better approach to arithmetic is to use tricks that are specific to the pre-calculator era. Schools used to use this book, but it is now out of print. It is possible to find information on the internet about the book.
Lockie123
I am looking for an arithmetic book to use before going on to pre-algebra. However I don't want a book that says "28 + 53, add 8 + 3, carry the 1, etc). I'm looking for a book that has a better approach. For example, instead of that approach, saying "28 + 53 = 30 + 51 = 81" - something like that. I very rarely see this method in today's textbooks though, what a shame!

Physics news on Phys.org
From the pre-calculator era, I remember a few books that explained 'tricks' of that sort. But they are now out of print, I believe...

@NTW That's a shame, perhaps I can find some of them online. Do you know the titles of some of the books? I hear a lot about old math textbooks, are they generally better than the textbooks we have today?

Lockie123 said:
@NTW That's a shame, perhaps I can find some of them online. Do you know the titles of some of the books? I hear a lot about old math textbooks, are they generally better than the textbooks we have today?

I still have one in some cupboard around... 'Off the top', I can tell you now that the author was some 'Trachtenberg', and that the title of the book was 'The Thrachtenberg method of fast math' (or something like that). Sure you'll find more information un Google...

@NTW Yes, I've heard of that book! Did schools actually use that book in their arithmetic classes before moving on to pre-algebra?

Lockie123 said:
@NTW Yes, I've heard of that book! Did schools actually use that book in their arithmetic classes before moving on to pre-algebra?

Schools used to be (and still are) conservative institutions... I believe that the 'Tracht' was used, outside schools, by people who needed to calculate quickly. For present-day students, it's difficult to imagine a physics examination with no calculators, and with the only help of log and trig tables... A fast way to do the calculations, and specially to check them, was highly valuable...

@ NTW Would there have been any disadvantage for students in later topics such as algebra and calculus if they just started with the 'Tracht' method for arithmetic though instead of adding and multiplying using tables?

No idea, but -in my opinion- the 'Tracht', being a mental method, is better suited as a complement of the usual written operations...

I welcome any further suggestions!

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Lockie123 said:
As far as I know, very few if any schools used the Trachtenberg book in their arithmetic classes. In my own case, it wasn't published in the US until 1960, which was when I was already in high school.

Instead of looking for alternative approaches to arithmetic, which is pretty simple, I would advise just biting the bullet and getting some generic book on arithmetic.
Lockie123 said:
I hear a lot about old math textbooks, are they generally better than the textbooks we have today?
They were certainly cheaper, since they didn't have any color illustrations, and were pretty sparse on even black and white illustrations.

What is a good arithmetic textbook?

A good arithmetic textbook is one that presents concepts in a clear, organized, and engaging manner. It should also have a variety of practice problems and examples to help students understand and apply the concepts. Additionally, the textbook should align with the curriculum and learning goals set by the educational institution.

What are the key features of a good arithmetic textbook?

A good arithmetic textbook should have a clear and logical structure, with concepts presented in a sequential order. It should also include clear explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems with varying levels of difficulty. The textbook should also have interactive elements, such as online resources or activities, to enhance the learning experience.

How can I determine if a textbook is suitable for my students?

To determine if a textbook is suitable for your students, you should first consider the learning goals and needs of your students. Then, carefully review the table of contents, sample pages, and any available reviews or feedback from other educators. You can also consider piloting the textbook with a small group of students before making a final decision.

Are there any specific criteria for evaluating an arithmetic textbook?

Yes, there are several criteria that can be used to evaluate an arithmetic textbook. These include the accuracy and clarity of the content, alignment with curriculum standards, organization and structure, inclusion of practice problems and examples, and the overall design and format of the textbook.

What makes an arithmetic textbook stand out from others?

An exceptional arithmetic textbook will stand out from others by offering innovative and effective teaching methods, incorporating real-world applications and problem-solving strategies, and providing a diverse range of resources to support student learning. It should also have a strong focus on developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, rather than just rote memorization of facts and procedures.