What is an Initial Segment here?: Reidemeister-Schreier Method

In summary, the conversation is discussing the Reidemeister-Schreier method for finding a presentation of a subgroup H of a group G. This method involves selecting a subset T of F, a free group with basis X, such that the cosets Ht are distinct for distinct elements t in T, and the union of the Ht is F. The conversation also mentions the concept of initial segments, which may refer to either a word in F(T) or the enumeration process used in finding a Schreier transversal. The conversation also considers the case where H has infinite index in G and the use of Choice to select the least element representing the class Hg. The conversation ends with a reference to the Fox calculus, which
Bacle
Hi, everyone:

I am reading an article on the Reidemeister-Schreier
method for finding a presentation of a subgroup H of
a group G, given a presentation for G , in which this
statement is made:

A Schreier transversal of a subgroup H of F, free with
basis X, is a subset T of F such that for distinct
t in T, the cosets Ht are distinct, and the union of
the Ht is F, and such that ...

** every initial segment of an element of T itself
belongs to T **

Now, I understand that the cosets of H in G
partition G, and we select a subset T of G so that
Ht=/Ht' for t,t' in T, and \/Ht =G , but I have no
idea of what an initial segment would mean in this
context; are we assuming there is some sort of ordering
in T; maybe inherited from G ,or are we using
Well-Ordering Principle some how?

I thought we may have been considering the case where H
has infinite index in G, so that we assign a well-ordering in G
so that we can use Choice to select the least element g
representing the class Hg (i.e., all g_i in G with Hg_i=Hg ), but
I am not too clear on this.

Thanks for Any Ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume it is either simply a word in ##F(T)## or it refers to the enumeration process how to find a Schreier transversal by the Todd-Coxeter method. Cp. http://cocoa.dima.unige.it/conference/cocoa2013/posters/YvonneKaroske.pdf
I also found under "Fox calculus" an example where a differential operator ##F(T)\longrightarrow \mathbb{Z}(F(T))## was defined in a way that uses segments of words in ##F(T)##.

1. What is the Reidemeister-Schreier method?

The Reidemeister-Schreier method is a combinatorial algorithm used in group theory to find a presentation for a subgroup of a given group. This method involves constructing a spanning tree for the subgroup and then using it to find the generators and relations of the subgroup.

2. How does the Reidemeister-Schreier method work?

The Reidemeister-Schreier method starts with a given group G and a subgroup H. It then constructs a spanning tree T for H in the Cayley graph of G. Next, it adds a set of generators for G to T, creating a spanning tree T' for G. Finally, it uses T' to find the generators and relations for H, which can be used to create a presentation for H.

3. What is an initial segment in the Reidemeister-Schreier method?

An initial segment in the Reidemeister-Schreier method is a set of generators for the subgroup H that are chosen to form the basis of the spanning tree T. These generators are chosen in a specific order and are used to construct the rest of the spanning tree and find the subgroup's generators and relations.

4. Why is the Reidemeister-Schreier method useful?

The Reidemeister-Schreier method is useful because it provides a systematic way of finding a presentation for a subgroup of a given group. This can be used to better understand the structure of the subgroup and its relationship to the larger group. It can also be used to simplify calculations and proofs involving the subgroup.

5. Is the Reidemeister-Schreier method the only method for finding subgroup presentations?

No, the Reidemeister-Schreier method is not the only method for finding subgroup presentations. There are other methods, such as the Todd-Coxeter method and the Schreier-Sims algorithm, that can also be used to find subgroup presentations. However, the Reidemeister-Schreier method is often preferred due to its simplicity and efficiency.