What is causing the copper wire to not conduct in my inductor coil?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
nst.john
Messages
163
Reaction score
1
I am making an inductor coil out of wire that I removed from a piece of insulated copper wire. The inductor didn't conduct and I checked the conductivity of the coil alone via a multimeter and it didn't conduct any electricity and it is a copper wire so I need to know what is going on here! Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My first guess would be that there is an insulating coating on the wire. Try to sand it a bit. If the color changes to a bright copper, then there is a coating.
 
.Scott said:
My first guess would be that there is an insulating coating on the wire. Try to sand it a bit. If the color changes to a bright copper, then there is a coating.
yup, probably got an enamel coating