What is causing the strange signal on my PMT R928?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VolBog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Signal Strange
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
VolBog
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Good day.
Resently, I bought the Hamamatsu R928.
But when I connect to power suply and connect output to the osciloscope I have strange signal.
Maybe someone know the origin of this signal?
 
Attachments
  • P81121-143200.jpg
    P81121-143200.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 468
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it covered or open? What kind of fixture are you plugging it into? Can you post your schematic?

https://www.hamamatsu.com/blobs/1328784013964?blobheadername1=content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=inline%3Bfilename%3D1328467311959.jpg&ssbinary=true

784013964?blobheadername1=content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=inline%3Bfilename%3D1328467311959.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 784013964?blobheadername1=content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=inline%3Bfilename%3D1328467311959.jpg
    784013964?blobheadername1=content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=inline%3Bfilename%3D1328467311959.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 529
It is open (if you about black cover which usually add to reduce noise).
I use standart D type socket assembly E717-63. And connect to osciloscope directly (the input impedance 1MOhm).
 
Attachments
  • P81122-094743.jpg
    P81122-094743.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 374
What are vertical scale and timebase on that 'scope trace ?

In other words - what do we know about your "noise" ?

120 hz would likely be nearby fluorescent lights.
 
So far it looks like common EMI from an SMPS nearby.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
Vertical 5mV/division Horisontal 20ns/division
Its look strange in my opinion.
Usually people have like:
gU8vO.png


But in my case in this pmt I can't see any signal.
Maybe I have broken pmt?
 
Attachments
  • gU8vO.png
    gU8vO.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 529
what does yours look like at those people's settings?

\
upload_2018-11-26_8-51-19.png


shine a flashlight on it through a fan blade.
or point your TV remote control at it and press a button.
tv remote is typically just a bit longer than 900 nm so the tube will probably see it.
.
oops make that might see it.

..
upload_2018-11-26_9-4-34.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-11-26_8-51-19.png
    upload_2018-11-26_8-51-19.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 446
  • upload_2018-11-26_9-4-34.png
    upload_2018-11-26_9-4-34.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and berkeman