What is causing those patterns on the glass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of a pattern on the inside of a glass after drinking smooth yogurt. The pattern is caused by microscopic scratches on the surface of the glass and the presence of impurities and chemicals. The principle of least action and gravity also play a role in the pattern formation. The pattern is similar each time due to the consistent presence of scratches, but it evolves as the glass acquires more scratches. The conversation ends with the participants appreciating the beauty of the pattern despite understanding the scientific reasons behind it.
John Morax
I couldn't come up with a satisfying explanation myself so I figured this is where I might find an answer.. I have been drinking smooth yogurt of this glass, after I drunk it I left the glass on the side and after few minutes this pattern appeared on the inside of the glass. I know it comes from the left over yogurt slowly sliding down the bottom of the glass after I raise it to drink. But why this pattern? Why the liquid doesn't slide uniformly along the surface of the glass? What's gravity doing here? I have tried again and the same patterns appears. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I fell like something intriguing is happening here... Call me crazy but I fantasized about cluster of galaxys and space time itself while looking at it...

Thank you very much to anyone that will be so kind to shine some light on this problem.

Attachments

• 20180129_125637.jpg
    20180129_125637.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Almost certainly there are microscopic scratches in the surface of the glass. When there's only a thin film of yogurt they are big enough to deflect the flow. So you'll see similar patterns time and again because the scratches are always there, but they'll evolve as your glass acquires more tiny scrapes from your dishwasher or whatever.

You might be able to see the scratches with a strong hand lens.

It's because you don't have an ideal glass, nor an ideal liquid,, nor noninteracting particles, your glass had dried leftovers and dirt, causing the liquid not to cross those paths. And why it doesn't cross those paths is because of chemical forces and to some extent friction combined with the principle of least action.

If you pour water on a very odd and hilly surface the you will not get a smooth plane/layer of water over it.

If you neglect the fact that particles interact and distribute them through a ideal surface it would be somewhat distributed uniformly.

John Morax said:
What's gravity doing here?
Gravity not doing anything except causing the flow/
You have precipitation of the suspended solid particles on the glass forming patterns.
As already stated,
It can be attributed to the uneven surface of the glass, impurities on the glass rendering it hydrophobic or not.
Water droplets running down glass exhibit similar features in that they do not fall straight down but meander.

In this case, there also is a changing viscosity of the smoothie as it leaves particles behind, forming fractal patterns.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/1825859_Fractal_Behavior_of_Flow_of_an_Inhomogeneous_Fluid_Over_a_Smooth_Inclined_Surface

Thank you everybody for the explanations. There must be impurities distributed on the glass and traces of chemicals from the dishwasher. I do also understand clearly that the principle of least action is at work.
...still such a cool pattern is it? It looks like the estuary of a river.
Thanks again to all.

1. What causes the patterns on glass?

The patterns on glass are most commonly caused by varying levels of impurities in the glass during the manufacturing process. These impurities can create variations in the thickness or composition of the glass, leading to the appearance of patterns when light passes through it.

2. Can temperature changes cause patterns on glass?

Yes, extreme temperature changes can cause patterns to appear on glass. This is due to the expansion and contraction of the glass, causing it to warp and create patterns, especially in older or lower quality glass.

3. Do vibrations or movement affect the patterns on glass?

Yes, vibrations or movement can cause patterns on glass. This is especially noticeable in thin or fragile glass, where even small movements can cause the glass to bend and create patterns when light passes through it.

4. Are the patterns on glass harmful?

No, the patterns on glass are not harmful. They are simply a natural occurrence caused by variations in the glass's composition or external factors such as temperature or movement. However, some patterns may indicate a defect in the glass and should be further examined.

5. Can cleaning products cause patterns on glass?

Yes, certain cleaning products can cause patterns on glass. This is usually due to the chemicals in the product reacting with the glass or leaving behind residue, leading to the appearance of patterns. It is important to use gentle, non-abrasive cleaners when cleaning glass to avoid causing patterns or damage.