Fluence Explained: What is it & How Does it Work?

• Thread starter rem45
  • Start date
In summary, fluence is a measure of the flux integrated over time. It is defined as the total number of particles that intersect a unit area in a specific time interval and has units of m^-2. This concept is often confused with flux, which is a snapshot in time, but as the snapshot becomes infinitely small, fluence approaches zero.
rem45
I am new to the fluence concept which is apparently the number of particle passing through an area.

However how can this quantity ever be greater than zero...? In my mind there needs to be a timing interval to compute how many particles are passing through the area which I know is referred to as the flux.

My professor explains this concept as a snapshot in time but that to me is flux. As the snapshot in time becomes infinitely small this 'fluence' should go to zero... right?

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Per wiki:

In physics, fluence is the flux (either particle or radiative flux) integrated over time. For particles, it is defined as the total number of particles that intersect a unit area in a specific time interval of interest, and has units of m–2 (number of particles per meter squared).

Related to Fluence Explained: What is it & How Does it Work?

What is fluence?

Fluence is a measure of the total amount of energy that is delivered to a specific area over a period of time. It is commonly used in the fields of physics and engineering, and is often used to describe the intensity of radiation or light.

How is fluence calculated?

Fluence is calculated by multiplying the intensity of the radiation or light by the amount of time it is delivered to a specific area. It is typically measured in units of energy per unit area, such as joules per square meter (J/m²) or watts per square centimeter (W/cm²).

What is the importance of fluence?

Fluence is important because it helps us understand the amount of energy that is being delivered to a specific area. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as determining the effectiveness of medical treatments, optimizing industrial processes, and calculating the potential risks of exposure to radiation or light.

How does fluence affect different materials?

The effect of fluence on different materials depends on the type of radiation or light being used, as well as the properties of the material itself. In general, higher fluence levels can cause damage or changes in the material, while lower fluence levels may have no noticeable effect.

What are some factors that can influence fluence?

Some factors that can influence fluence include the distance from the source of radiation or light, the angle of incidence, and the properties of any intervening materials. Additionally, the type and intensity of the radiation or light source can also affect fluence levels.