What is happening at the LHC books?

• Thread starter Coin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Lhc
In summary, the conversation is about finding a book as a Christmas gift for someone interested in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The person is specifically looking for a book that explains the LHC and how to interpret its news, and mentions a previous book they read. They ask for recommendations for a more up-to-date or math-oriented book. Another person mentions that there is nothing new coming out of the LHC, but the first person clarifies that there is still a lot happening at the LHC. They are looking for a good introduction to collider physics for someone not familiar with the topic. A book is recommended, but the title is not remembered.
Coin
"What is happening at the LHC" books?

I am trying to find a Christmas gift for my brother, and thought it might be fun to try to get him a book that would be an introduction to what the LHC is looking for and would explain how to interpret the news coming out of the LHC in the last month / next year or three. He does not have a physics background but has a heavy graduate-level mathematics background (he is a couple months from a PH.D in another, highly math-centric subject).

I read a fantastic book about the Standard Model some years back called "The Theory of Almost Everything" by Robert Oerter that is more or less exactly what I am looking for, three years ago I would have just given him that book, I was wondering if there was something a little more up-to-date or math-oriented I should look at also/instead.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

i don't think there's anything new coming out of LHC

they say they found faster-than-light neturino then it's reported that that may not be the case

they say they spot Higgs Boson then it's reported that the result is not conclusive

so no, nothing really worthy to mention is coming out of LHC

It doesn't really matter if they're finding anything or not, lots of stuff is still happening at the LHC and there will be major news from it at some point (there will be either a Higgs discovery or a Higgs exclusion). I was just looking for something that's a good introduction to collider physics for someone not familiar (the best I know is, read Dorigo's blog for a couple years)...

Arabiannights - there's plenty coming out of the LHC that isn't reported in the news! New QGP results, symmetry breaking in the charm system etc. etc. Even the "non-news" about the higgs is still meaninful. There is plenty to mention.

Coin - can't think of any LHC books from the top of my head, but as far as new Standard Model books go, Frank Close's new book, The Infinity Puzzle has gotten pretty good reviews (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465021441/?tag=pfamazon01-20), and The Second Creation is popular (though older) as well (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0813521777/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

As a scientist familiar with the LHC and its research, I can suggest a few books that may be suitable for your brother. "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll is a great introduction to the LHC and its search for the Higgs boson. It explains the science behind the LHC in an accessible and engaging way, without requiring a physics background. Another option is "The Large Hadron Collider: The Extraordinary Story of the Higgs Boson and Other Stuff That Will Blow Your Mind" by Don Lincoln, which delves into the mathematics and physics behind the LHC's discoveries. Additionally, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell is a more technical book that may appeal to your brother's mathematical background. Ultimately, it may be helpful to read reviews and sample chapters of these books to determine which one would be the best fit for your brother's interests and level of understanding.

Related to What is happening at the LHC books?

1. What is the LHC and what is its purpose?

The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at CERN in Switzerland. Its purpose is to allow scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern them by colliding particles at incredibly high speeds.

2. What are scientists hoping to discover at the LHC?

Scientists hope to discover new particles and phenomena that have never been observed before, such as the elusive Higgs boson. They also hope to gain a better understanding of the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and potentially uncover evidence of extra dimensions or other theories that go beyond our current understanding of physics.

3. What are some of the major experiments being conducted at the LHC?

Some of the major experiments being conducted at the LHC include ATLAS, CMS, ALICE, and LHCb. These experiments involve collaboration between scientists from all over the world and utilize sophisticated detectors to record and analyze the data produced by the collisions.

4. What have been some of the significant discoveries made at the LHC so far?

Some of the significant discoveries made at the LHC include the confirmation of the existence of the Higgs boson, the discovery of new particles such as pentaquarks and tetraquarks, and the measurement of the properties of the top quark and other fundamental particles. The LHC has also provided evidence for the existence of dark matter and has helped to further our understanding of the early universe.

5. What are some of the potential practical applications of the research done at the LHC?

The research done at the LHC has the potential to lead to advances in technology, medicine, and other fields. For example, the techniques and technologies developed for the LHC's particle detectors could be applied to medical imaging and diagnostics. The study of fundamental particles and forces can also help us better understand and potentially manipulate matter on a smaller scale, leading to technological advancements in areas such as materials science and energy production.