1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Infared and Ultraviolet radiation responsible for?

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    Please be as detailed as possibl. What do UV and Infared radiation affect, like how does infared energy have to do with heat?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

They're not responsible for doing your homework for you, I'll tell you that much.

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    all of them are energy and all of them could be use to produce heat but low frequency (low energy ) are more favorable to produce heat (infrared) because high energy electromagnetic waves could change the structure of molecule or make undesired reactions (Ultravilot).
    This is why a microwave oven use Microwave which is directly below the IR region.

http://www.3mints.info/upload/uploads/0582997337.jpg

This is why UV light cause cancer.

5. Aug 31, 2010 #4
    Why do people assume I am doing homework? WHAT 13 YEAR OLD'S ARE BEING TAUGHT PHYSICS?

6. Sep 1, 2010 #5
    ultra violet rays are a form of low energy heat radiation , both of these are resonsible for cancer (skin cancer) THE SUN RELEASES LOTS OF THIS ENERGY and our magnetosphere is the only thing that protects us from everybody getting cancer :)

7. Sep 1, 2010 #6

alxm

Science Advisor

Because your question had a format that's typical of a homework question.
    How am I supposed to know your age? I don't even care, I'd have responded the same way if you were 13 or 30 or 90.
    If you want answers, ask specific questions that show you've made an effort on your own to learn.
    Don't ask open-ended questions (typical of homework) and expect people to write an essay on-demand for you.

8. Sep 1, 2010 #7
    All of them, where I came from.:wink:

9. Sep 1, 2010 #8
    Same here btw.
    And yea - it does sound more like a homework question, complete with opportunities for getting creative and less like a specific question with a concise answer.

I'm gonna try nonetheless: here's the strict answer to the topic question:
    IR and UV are responsible for an infinite number of interactions, most of which involve exchange of energy.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook