What is Information? Exploring Quantum Blueprints w/ 71yo Writer

• B
  • Thread starter brendanxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of "information" in the quantum world and how it relates to black holes. The person is struggling to understand this concept and is seeking a simple explanation. The response provides some basic reading and insights on the topic, including how information is preserved in black holes through unitarity. The person admits to not fully understanding quantum mechanics and expresses interest in learning more.
brendanxx
TL;DR Summary
Simple meaning of "information" - is it structural, separate from other structures, or simply a concept to mathematically describe the basic building blocks of something?
As a 71 year old writer who has been hooked by the quantum world I have struggled to find someone who can explain simply what is the "information" that cannot (?) escape from a black hole. Could this information, for instance, be described as the structural quantum blueprint of any form?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a PF Insights article on the subject.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/how-to-better-define-information-in-physics/

But the black hole is difficult. Consider the spin of an electron, that can be up or down; exactly 1 bit of information. If the electron falls into a black hole, it brings that 1 bit of information with it. Whatever Hawking radiation that may come out of the BH in the future, also carries information and the information out must equal the information in.

If you understand QM, then you should know about Unitary operations. Unitarity and preservation of information are the same thing or at least closely related.

This is all so interesting. No, I do not understand quantum mechanics which, I guess is why I'm so interested in it. In my ignorance I wonder about things like - can a particle that has no steady state and which cannot generally be described have any information? There is no need to answer - I do understand my question springs from abysmal ignorance and I shall slink off to read your link and study more.

• Love
Likes Delta2

What is information?

Information is a broad concept that refers to the knowledge or data that is communicated or received through various means. It can be in the form of facts, statistics, instructions, or any other form of communication that conveys meaning.

What is the connection between information and quantum blueprints?

Quantum blueprints refer to the underlying structure or blueprint of a system at the quantum level. The concept of information is closely tied to quantum blueprints as it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how information is encoded and processed at the quantum level.

How does exploring quantum blueprints help us understand information?

Exploring quantum blueprints allows us to delve deeper into the fundamental nature of information and how it is encoded and transmitted. It helps us understand the role of quantum mechanics in information processing and the potential applications of quantum information technology.

Why is it important to study information and quantum blueprints?

Studying information and quantum blueprints is crucial for understanding the underlying principles of the universe and developing advanced technologies. It can also lead to breakthroughs in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and communication.

What is the significance of a 71-year-old writer in this exploration of information and quantum blueprints?

The age of the writer is not a determining factor in their ability to explore and understand complex concepts such as information and quantum blueprints. The writer's experience and perspective may provide unique insights and contribute to the discussion and advancement of these fields.